Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Hearing alot about glasspacks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trip..
I agree...

...In my opinion, any aftermarket muffler sounds like **** on a 4.3! I don't care if you have a single $100 Flowmaster, or 6 separate pipes from each cylinder with 6 different mufflers attached to all pipes, they all sound like butt... (I have to admit, I have never seen or heard that setup, so I may be incorrect,) but I am assuming it too, would sound like buttocks.
With all seriousness my catback flowmaster 40 with 2.5" piping to a 3x18" tip sounds nice and deep. Magnaflows sounds great on these trucks and a lot of others too lol, I prefer the shorter/louder ones.

Check out this video though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzE9-...layer_embedded

Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
You took it the wrong way. When its said that backpressure is a myth its a myth that its not needed! Your truck/car will make the most power with straight pipes with the appropriate size piping depending on your rpm range that your engine runs in and if its naturally aspirated or has some sort of forced induction then requiring larger piping to accommodate the more gases being produced from the motor.

Did you at all look at those links posted? I can find so many more to show you that backpressure is bad, not needed at all to make power, and its exhaust scavenging thats needed
Whether you realize it or not, we are both on the same page. I never said that back pressure was needed - I said it is real (it exists) and not a myth. I never said that back pressure and scavenging were the same thing - don't know where you got that. What I said is scavenging is a way to reduce back pressure, as is a performance (free flow) exhaust system - which is a good thing. The way that Benedict worded it made it sound like it (back pressure) wasn't real - doesn't exist - is a myth. I just wanted to clarify it so that others reading the post wouldn't be mislead by his wording. The other portion of his post I was attempting to clarify is:

'the only way of loosing or gaining power in an exhaust system is if you replace everything, headers, high flow cat, performance exhaust 3" pipes the whole way back. without that there is no gains or looses that are noticeable'

For optimum results - yes - you should replace the entire system. However, there is lots of data showing signifcant improvement by installing nothing more than a properly designed cat-back system. Stating that you won't see any noticable improvement unless you replace the entire system is a false statement.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01BlackBeauty
Whether you realize it or not, we are both on the same page. I never said that back pressure was needed - I said it is real (it exists) and not a myth. I never said that back pressure and scavenging were the same thing - don't know where you got that. What I said is scavenging is a way to reduce back pressure, as is a performance (free flow) exhaust system - which is a good thing. The way that Benedict worded it made it sound like it (back pressure) wasn't real - doesn't exist - is a myth. I just wanted to clarify it so that others reading the post wouldn't be mislead by his wording. The other portion of his post I was attempting to clarify is:

'the only way of loosing or gaining power in an exhaust system is if you replace everything, headers, high flow cat, performance exhaust 3" pipes the whole way back. without that there is no gains or looses that are noticeable'

For optimum results - yes - you should replace the entire system. However, there is lots of data showing signifcant improvement by installing nothing more than a properly designed cat-back system. Stating that you won't see any noticable improvement unless you replace the entire system is a false statement.
Alright i understand now. I was taking it as how everyone else always says backpressure is needed etc and if this is enough backpressure. I apologize, Totally read it wrong

Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

This is getting old, you guys were just getting confused, let me help clear the air: backpressure is real, not a myth. Backpressure is also not desirable, you want pipes large enough to flow yet small enough to maintain high velocity, which equals efficiency and power. I can't put it any simpler, except using the garden hose example. Cap off the end with your thumb to decrease the outlet but increase the speed, same applies to exhaust. Now the garden hose isn't exactly the same as the pressure source is completely different but as far as the end, it's the same.

Originally Posted by Trip..
When they come up with a better design, the 40 series will drop in price because everyone wants the newest thing.
Now this I have to say is wrong. There are better designs for a chambered muffler than Flowmaster. The Aero Turbine, the Hooker Aerochamber, and the Spintech are all chambered designs that outflow Flowmaster and drone much less. They haven't been around as long so a lot of people don't know about them. If they were better promoted, I guarantee people would buy them up instead of Flowmaster. People buy Flowmaster because they like the name and want to be like everyone else, they want to say they have one. I tried an Aerochamber on my 87 5.0 Mustang, and while everyone said a Flowmaster 40, the most overly used muffler ever besides a Cherry Bomb glasspack, would sound better, the Aerochamber sounded much better, a deeper tone without the drone and flows much better.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

I never said " Flowmaster 40 series were the best..." I personally dislike the sound of a flowmaster. What I said/meant was, When Flowmaster comes up with a better design for the money, everyone will want that, whatever it may be.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Starting Member

It just sounded like you said that's the best chambered design which it isn't, it's outdated but since those are a trend and people don't know of anything better, they keep buying them. Most people don't research and look for all the options out there, because they all run glasspacks or FM40's, which to me makes no sense because of the better options, like a Thrush Welded comes to mind, exact same as a FM40 but less than half the price.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road

Couldn't I just buy a piece of 2.25'' or 2.5'' pipe put it on the end of my cat a muffler then a turn down? That's a ghetto way of doing it but same principle. Or does it create underlying problems?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

You can do that, absolutely! You can do anything you want, it is in fact your truck...

Go ahead and bypass the cat if you wish, you will be polluting the atmosphere. (I'm not hugging a tree here, but the exhaust odor will be significantly less with a catalytic converter) If you were to just add a turn-down at the back of the muffler, it will pump in huge amounts of stinky exhaust (and deadly carbon monoxide) right into the cab of your truck. After a 10 mile drive, you and your clothes will smell like a exhaust pipe. If the stink doesn't bother you, then by all means, do it. I personally think it stinks. That is just my opinion though.

I know Autozone sucks, but they sell a cheap cat-back system for about 50 bucks with a crappy muffler. I have one, here is a vid of what the cheap cat-back sounds like. YouTube - Bravada 4.3 exhaust sound. No cat cheap muffler...
It's just the cheap 30 dollar universal Walker muffler and a 25 dollar tailpipe. With the cat-back installed, I can't smell the exhaust anymore.

Last edited by Trip..; 10-31-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Kai
Kai is on a distinguished road

Eh, I thought about it and I think I just might "ghettofy" it and make it come out right in front of the right rear wheel but the disadvantage is the right rear door would be a pain to get in ya know?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Starting Member

Why would the door be anymore difficult to get in if the tip is tucked in? I don't have to touch the door sill with my leg to get into a car or truck, I had side exits on my Mustang and never had a problem, nor did any of my passengers. Just fyi, side exits under a door are illegal, somehow Mustangs get away with it or companies like Roush couldn't sell side exits kits. But on yours I can tell you that you'll most likely get a ticket if a cop see's it and is having a bad day.

Quick Reply: Hearing alot about glasspacks.