New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

hello guys/new blazer owner w/question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
dunkchamp55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello guys/new blazer owner w/question

excited to learn lots from all you crazy blazer owners, i just picked up a silver 2000 blazer fully loaded with 60,000 miles. Love it already but a few things are bothering me already. #1 is the fan supposed to run all the time? as soon as i start it up the fan turns on.......2# got a little play in the steering wheel.......what should i check? im new to the world of 4x4's coming from a 95 z28 its a different world, so all help is greatly appreciated, already done about 1000 searches stuff i have been lookin into just havent found much about the fan issue......thanks alot look forward to chattin with you all
ryan

Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: hello guys/new blazer owner w/question

Which fan are you talking about? The fan attached to the engine or the climate control fan?

The engine fan should not be active on cold startup. This could indicate a failed thermostatic fan clutch. With the engine cold and the engine off, the fan should offer little resistance to turning it. I could typically get 2-3 revolutions by spinning the fan manually when cold. If it doesn't make atleast 1 revolution when spun by hand, the fan clutch is mostlikely failed/failing.

If the HVAC fan is on, then you may have a problem with either the resistor block or the HVAC control head.

With anything steering related, check all of the joints in the steering. Inner/Outer tierod ends, pitman and idler arms pretty much sum up the connections. With the pitman arm, you want to pay attention to the splined shaft connection to the steering gear box as well as where the pitman arm attaches to the steering linkage. With the idler arm, pull on the steering linkage while looking at where the idler arm attaches to the frame as well as where it attaches to the steering linkage. If play is felt in any of the components, replacement is necessary. As with any replacement steering component, an alignment must be performed after repair has been completed.

Some shops will do a free inspection which may help you narrow down the issue with the steering a little more quickly. But that really depends on your experience with diagnosing such problems.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

welcome!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Welcome

Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM
dunkchamp55 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks swartlkk. had a gm tech look it over today, front pass wheels hub is shot, no coolant, coolant lines cracked, oil lines cracked, pitman and idler arms need to be replaced and ball joints, pretty ****ty being guaranteed that the car was looked over when they got it in and when they sold it, they said everything that needed replacing was replaced, mechanic we saw today said that there might even be a head gasket leak, but since no coolant he cant tell. called the dealer up today, "OH my gosh im sooo very sorry, i wouldnt have sold it to you knowing all that was wrong with it. im not in the business to loose customers but to gain them, im soo ebarassed" BS im soo friggen ticked off right now, and i even left the lot the other day when i purchased it with the gas tank on E, spent 8 grand on a blazer and they cant put 10 bucks in for gas......manager is going to get a piece of my mind tomorrow..........

Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

welcome to the forum, any questions you have we as a collective bunch can answer. Also let us know what happens at the dealer, what they either do for you or not. Again welcome to the forum!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]