Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Burning popcorn smell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
Rp9110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burning popcorn smell?

Yeah, so.. today was a very bad day to have to drive anywhere at all. I was using 4wd hi to get to work and everything was fine but I was still sliding around some. Then when I came home I tried going up my drive way and it was impossible. I eased down and dropped into neutral then shifted 4lo I tried going up it around 30 mph. Then I shifted down into 4hi and I was slidding down some at this point. At 4 hi I hit the gas real heavy around 50mph, this is when I started smelling the burning pop corn smell. Does this indicate that I damnged my 4wd? Kind of has me worried, whenever I use 4wd I always think I'm going to break something. I would go test it now but.. I just got it parallel parked on the street with so much hassle and sliding involved. I remember someone mentioning smelling this from their 4wd when they went up to the Mountains and wheeled through the snow.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Starting Member
Default RE: Burning popcorn smell?

Just went outside and was able to get it in and out of 4wd lo, so I'm not worried just going to watch how fast I'm going next time when I have 4wd on.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

In 4LO you should NEVER go faster than 10-15mph

4HI shouldnt be going 40+ either
(you can in 4HI, but if your in 4x4 that usually means the road conditions are nasty and you shouldnt be going that fast anyways!)

Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Starting Member

Wow, someone definetley told me wrong. Never going to be moving that fast in 4wd again then. I guess I'm lucky my 4wd still works then. I was also being an idiot and trying to get my blazer up my drive-way without paying attention to how hard I was on the gas.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 PM

Just a little hint next time,

If you smash the gas, your tires will start digging a hole in the snow...

Try crawling up your driveway slowly

Thats how most people get stuck offroading, they try to get out superfast! and actually dig themselves into a deeper hole...by just crawling slowly youll gain traction

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that what you did when you went wheelin with that jeep, gettin stuck in that two inch rut?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Yea thats how i learned...hahah! LEarn best from experience!

(and having a better set of tires)

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ik burnt tranny fluid smells like burnt toast kinda idk if u'd be able to smell it in the cabin tho usually u can only tell if u pull the dip stick out. could possibly be burning rubber as i've done that b4 goin up an icy hill and i was basically doin a burnout up the whole thing had to make 3 runs at it to finally get up (i tried goin slow at first but didnt work and 4wd doesnt work for me)

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Starting Member

My buddy was telling me it was either my gears or burning up t case fluid. I was practically doing a huge burnout trying to gain traction but I don't think it was rubber I smelled.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 AM
gocartone is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess would be burning rubber if you were spinning the tires that fast and not going anywhere. If your 4wd still works fine and everything I couldn't imagine what else it would be. How steep is your driveway that you have to hit it at 30mph with 4wd???

Quick Reply: Burning popcorn smell?