Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

SunVisors and Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 PM
JenJen is on a distinguished road
Default SunVisors and Mirrors

Hi--New member here. Still in love with my '99 Blazer, which I've had for 14 years.

I've been reading threads about sun visor mirror covers.

I popped mine off and bought new ones on eBay ($39.99 for the set of two).

Honestly, I cannot see a single way to get the new ones to pop ON!

I see the little metal clamps, but they seem to be holding the mirror to the plastic frame.

I can't find anything on the visor that's meant to clamp to or clip to the plastic mirror assembly.

I keep looking at the cute little metal clips. They seem to be talking to me but I don't speak "Clip."

I didn't break anything when I popped the mirrors and covers out of the visors.

I see the lights (still working), the wires, the plastic maze inside. But nothing that seems to say, "Clip that baby right here!"

Lots of holes that line up right. Nothing that will HOLD it on though!

Help???

I see that some of you have replaced the plastic mirror assembly without getting a whole new visor. It sounds like the assembly pops right on.

Would anyone be willing to get verrrry specific as to how that plastic mirror assembly attaches to the plastic jungle inside the visor?

Thanks a million.

JenJen

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

**Moved to paint, body, and interior**

What do you mean by 'sun visor mirror cover?' Could you take a pic to show what part you mean? (Unless, of course, someone chimes in with the info you need before you get a chance to.)

Old 10-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Starting Member
strider1949 is on a distinguished road
Default Repair/replace that broken sun visor vanity mirror

I just replaced my 2002 Blazer sun visor vanity mirrors. The clips only hold the mirror and the mirror cover in place. The entire plastic frame is held on by four little tabs that you cannot get at directly. They are located behind each light lens one at the top and one at the bottom of each lens. Some people say they have had success by simply pushing the entire frame upward and then unhooking at the top on each side then when the frame swings out a little at the top you can unhook it at the bottom on each side. This worked for me to get it off but then I could not install the replacement the same way. I discovered that I could remove the lens on each side --very carefully-- they are fragile! With a small straight bladed screwdriver (or maybe a bone tool might work!) pry each lens from the center of the lens at the mirror side of each one. This spot has a small indentation on the bottom side here that will allow some flex in the lens. Then while prying the lens edge out very slooooowly pry the bottom of the lens also. Take your time! It worked for me all four tries (both visors). Then you can easily see the plastic tabs that hook the frame to the visor. Just pry it off with the little flat bladed screw driver. if you need to replace the bulb(s) this would be a good time. Some others have commented that they replaced these with LEDs. Now after removing the lenses in the new vanity mirror assembly just reverse the process and snap it into place. (Repairing the old frame is possible with a lot of work--others have used JB weld and ground down coat hanger wire, etc. but a replacement can be had on eBay for about $15 each. This is ABS plastic not PVC by the way.) Snap the lenses into place lastly just as carefully as you took them out but they will snap in much easier than taking them out.

Strider1949
2002 Chevrolet Blazer