Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

what happened to my guages

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Blazenfast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what happened to my guages

hey i was putting in a white faces for my guages today and i forgot to unhook my battery when i unplugged them and when i put them back in the temp and gas gauge weren't working at all. did i screw them up by doing this? if not what could have happend

Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what happened to my guages

I Have seen this a few times, assuming that you didn't break them when you took the needles off, you may have what is refered to as "logic lock" which is what G.M. explains as the modules kind of sieze up and wont do anything. This is usually caused by an electronic component being plugged in (electrically) with the ignition on. It creates a voltoge spike and the capacitors store too much voltage. If this is what's wrong it's an easy fix, just disconnect BOTH of your battery cables from the battery, and hold them together (with the ends touching each other) for 30-45 seconds, this will discharge all of the capacitors on your truck and everything should start working correctly again.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:55 AM

this might possibly be it cause they both, are all the way to the left as far as they will go. and wont move when the vehicle is running. oh and i didn't pull the needles off.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:15 AM

well i tried that, and that didn't help any. but also a few other symptoms i found was when you thurn the key one click the odomoter will light up and the high beam indicater works right but when the car is running/key turned all the way on, neither will light up.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Jersey Autotronics is an unknown quantity at this point

you need a new cluster once you unplug cluster with power going to it you would have caused a voltage spike that seized all electomechanical components in cluster,all i can say is try to diconnect battery and turn on ignition with battery disconnected also turn on all accesories and pump your foot brake this will discharge all components then turn everything off reconnect battery and se if cluster works now if it does you are one lucky fellow....................good luck!

Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 PM

ok, i'll try that but would that also cause my high beam indicater and odometer to act the way they are doing?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 PM

ok i tried that, and still nothing. i disconnected BOTH battery cables too.

anybody have any other ideas??? also if i do end up getting another cluster, which i probably will, is there certain year models that won't work right in a 2000 blazer. and can the dealer reset the mileage on the new one where the old one was.