Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Throttle Body mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:55 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Heck Yeah! I loved my Quadrajunk.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 73 K10 and a 74 heavy K20 on the farm growing up. I started tuning them up when I was 10 and could make those old qjets work great. If I remember correctly I did my first well plug reseal at 12!

My K5 still has the old qjet on it and it runs great! I had to rebush the primary throttle shaft and seal the well plugs, but that's common on them.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member
ThaDopeShow is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It's the old "I did something therefore I notice a difference" effect.
Naw I wouldn't say it has more acceleration if it didn't, I have done 0 to 60 in 12 seconds like 6 months ago and I just did another 0 to 60 in 9 seconds, so yeah it has more acceleration.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThaDopeShow
Naw I wouldn't say it has more acceleration if it didn't, I have done 0 to 60 in 12 seconds like 6 months ago and I just did another 0 to 60 in 9 seconds, so yeah it has more acceleration.
You timed one of those incorrectly if you picked up 3 seconds (25% improvement).

Old 01-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

You timed one of those incorrectly if you picked up 3 seconds (25% improvement).
How could I do it wrong, I've video recorded both times and I've watched them both and timed them on a stopwatch

Old 01-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The only difference the mod makes is from closed throttle it will open and allow air into the TB a bit quicker so it will feel more "peppy" from a stop to about 1/4 throttle but slamming the pedal to the floor will have the same effect with the blade there or not. I don't see 3 full seconds being shaved by a mod that only has a small effect below 1/4 throttle at best. I have done this mod myself and do think it makes a small difference from a stop but nothing more.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ThaDopeShow
How could I do it wrong, I've video recorded both times and I've watched them both and timed them on a stopwatch
25% improvement would be the equivalent of adding 40-50HP which this mod DEFINITELY does not do.

Either one of your tests was uphill (pre-mod) and the next was downhill, you slapped a turbo on, or something else was influencing your results. Regardless, your findings are flawed as they aren't even in the realm of believable.

The reason I mention '5 run average' in my previous post is for this very case where something isn't right in one or both of your runs. A 5 run average would have shown you that something was off.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member

25% improvement would be the equivalent of adding 40-50HP which this mod DEFINITELY does not do.

Either one of your tests was uphill (pre-mod) and the next was downhill, you slapped a turbo on, or something else was influencing your results. Regardless, your findings are flawed as they aren't even in the realm of believable.

The reason I mention '5 run average' in my previous post is for this very case where something isn't right in one or both of your runs. A 5 run average would have shown you that something was off.
I'm not gonna lie I have done alot of stuff to my blazer in the past 6 months decides doing the throttle mod, I've added new gaskets and seals to the manifold and valve covers and cleaned everything up and I've added a new fuel injection spider added a new waterpump and new spark plugs and wires and put a brand new distributor and cap and rotor and I've even added a new abs control module and the throttle mod today, and I have done all these things after my last 0 to 60 about 6 months ago, so some of these other things could have added to it being faster but like I said before this mod has made the acceleration alot quicker. And has gotten 3 seconds faster

Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 PM
Beginning Member

and for the record both 0 to 60 tests were on the same flat road, I live in florida where it's flat there is no up hill or down hill

Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Unless you put a stock throttle blade on ran 5 passes from the exact same starting point to the exact same ending point and then immediately swapped to a modified blade on and ran the exact same setup 5 more times and take the average from before and after you are not getting accurate results.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body mod