Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!

Well, it is in my driveway now! Time to start taking things apart and replacing the rust... It will likely be slow going, but having it in at my house will make it a little easier to work on than my Chevelle.

On the trailer getting fuel:

Back home:

I think I finally realized what was holding me back on my Chevelle. I do not want there to be any imperfections in the sheetmetal on the Chevelle. So much so that I end up scrapping patch panels and second guessing my work. I am just not good enough at metalworking yet to do what I want to do with it.

The Blazer is different. I want it to be done right and done well, but it does not have to be absolutely perfect. With the availability of cheap patch panels for the Blazer (most around $20 for a partial patch), and the fact that a lot of the non-exterior panels are flat steel, the Blazer will be easier to "cut my teeth on".

Anyway, wish me luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!

You didn`t mention the roll cage. Is it welded to the frame? You got a free Hi-Lift with it!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Roll cage is standard (fiberglass top and all). The jack looks like it has never been used and I am not sure if it was original...

Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like another great project. Hope all goes well with it! So what are your plans for this one Kyle? A restoration or like a resto-mod?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 AM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

How much did that beauty set you back?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Starting Member
jimbosv650 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats It would be kind of mind blowing to see that thing with a four banger swapped in for fuel efficiency.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Tried to respond to this last night, but seems the site is back to its crappy ways.

Anyway, I will be removing the interior this week to see how much work I have in front of me!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Well, Monday night I got the whole back end stripped down and cleaned up as best I could with a vacuum. Someone decided to cut a hole in the bed to swap out the sending unit in the tank so I will need to get a patch panel for that (junkyard). I also got the passenger seat out and floor stripped down. The seats were not original and there are quite a few extra holes in the floor that I will need to weld up before I am all said and done, but all in all it is quite clean. Surface rust is all that is there.

Instead of putting carpet down inside, I think I am just going to throw down some bed liner on both sides of the floor (inside and underside) and call it a day. That way I will not have to do anything but prime and cover with bed liner!

I was able to partially identify the motor as well.
Casting code: 3970010 > 1969-1979 350CID V8 2 or 4 bolt, car, truck, vette
Stamping code: V0715CMB > V- Flint (engine), 07- July, 15- 15th day, CMB- 350, 4brl, 155HP/250lbft, F, LM1, Nova/Camaro
VIN code: 15N653303 > 1- Chevrolet, 5- 1975, N- Norwood, 653303- production sequence of vehicle VIN

Since it is a car engine, I am not sure if it will be a 4-bolt main. I may just build up my other engine and drop it in, then do something else with this one... Not sure yet.

Other bad news is that none of the seats are original. The back seat looks to have come from another Blazer so that is good, but the front seats are from something different entirely. Here are some pics of the progress from Monday night:

Last night I did a carb cleaning and general tune up. I did not mess with the plugs or wires, but I adjusted the timing and carb jets so it was running better. Started it this morning (38*F outside) and it sat up on the high idle for a few seconds. Tweaked the throttle and it dropped down to normal idle and stayed.

The carb is a Rochester QuadraJet with 7044206 and L3 (c) FA on the side. Comes back as a 1974 Federal Emissions Chevy Automatic transmission carb.

Now I need to get an HEI distributor for this thing. I will not mess around with points. For the time being, I will probably just steal the distributor from my Chevelle.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
I was able to partially identify the motor as well.
Casting code: 3970010 > 1969-1979 350CID V8 2 or 4 bolt, car, truck, vette
Stamping code: V0715CMB > V- Flint (engine), 07- July, 15- 15th day, CMB- 350, 4brl, 155HP/250lbft, F, LM1, Nova/Camaro
VIN code: 15N653303 > 1- Chevrolet, 5- 1975, N- Norwood, 653303- production sequence of vehicle VIN
Whoa, a 350 rated 155hp w/ 250lbft of torque! Engines sure have moved on from 30 years ago, huh? Might as well put a 4.3L in it!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

What you have to realize is that was not gross crank HP after 1972. This motor was actually rated at 185HP, but when tested with all the accessories, exhaust system, etc. The transition happened in 1972 where the industry went from SAE Gross to SAE Net measurement. General rule from a few articles I have found was that SAE Net was ~80% of SAE Gross which would put this engine in the 190HP range which lines up with the minimum HP figures I found for the block casting code.

Besides, it is not that right now, nor will it ever be again! And there is NO WAY that a 4.3L is finding its way between the frame rails of this truck!! LOL

Here is a quote I found about the LM1 motor in the 1974 Camaro:
California equipped Camaros came with a special "LM-1" 350 rated at 160 hp
It looks like this was the same motor carried over into 1975 after they dropped the Z28 trim level (and motors), being the highest performance motor you could purchase in the Camaro!

Here is another quote about HP levels in the mid 1970s:
power ratings were now net as opposed to the prior gross ratings. Net power ratings were taken from the engine crankshaft as before, but now all accessories had to be attached and operating, and all emissions equipment and a full production exhaust system had to be in place. These power-robbing additions — along with stringent new emissions laws — were instrumental in creating the vastly smaller power figures found in subsequent cars

Quick Reply: New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!