Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 PM
PABlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!

i really wanna c what that beast looks like when u get it done.. i bet it will b a beaut

Old 11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member
collin_k5_blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Any news on the project?? How goes the restoration? did you use the doors that you picked up?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did get a new rear window crank handle a week or so ago and got it installed. That was a pain in the butt as I ended up busting off some screws and bolts inside the tailgate. I just bid on a new interior tailgate handle which I will need to make up a new connecting rod for it.

I have also removed the rear tire carrier and straightened it up some. The next task will be removing the latch bracket on the tailgate to straighten it, then getting it all back in proper alignment. These parts will likely end up sand blasted and powder coated.

I have the old headers from my Chevelle that I will be attempting to fit on this truck along with a new exhaust system. Things are moving, just not as quickly as I would have liked.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Since it is a car engine, I am not sure if it will be a 4-bolt main. I may just build up my other engine and drop it in, then do something else with this one... Not sure yet.
Kyle,

I know it was three months ago when you said this, but I can`t help but ask. If you decide to drop in the other engine, would you be willing to sell the existing one?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for not keeping this updated.

As far as selling the old engine, that really depends on what it turns out to be. If it is another 4-bolt main block, probably not. I will just build that block up for something else. I do not know why, but a SB350 in a Chevette sounds like fun (I know where there is a rust free mid-80's Chevette)!!

Since it has been a good long while since I have updated this thread... I have purchased the exhaust system and a set of Hooker Comp headers. The headers are installed and the truck is back rolling around outside with open headers. I am in the process of modifying the exhaust system to fit properly (so much for a pre-bent exhaust system...).

The K5 is outside now while I insulate my newly heated garage. Once the insulation is done, it will be moved back in to finish up the exhaust. After that, it is going down to DMV to get a set of plates to get it on the road.

And just because:

^^CRANK IT UP THEN CLICK^^

The smoke is from weak valve seals. I will be replacing them at some point. Not too worried about it at the moment as I think it is just bad since it really is not being run. Once I start driving it, I will keep an eye on oil usage and the plugs to see how bad it really is.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds Great!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

How goes it? What little bit iv'e done to mine has me addicted. Already addicted to the mechanic part of it but the sheet metal stuff is new.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Any new pics of the blazer? i am really interested in it, Btw nice sig

Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Well???

Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Well, the K5 is back in the parking lot as opposed to being parked along side the house... The weather has been quite warm so I did not want to make a muddy mess out of my side yard... I am continuously surprised at how easy this truck starts and how well it runs when cold. I am anxious to get it on the road, but there have been MANY other things that have had to take precedence and the weather has not helped matters. It has been nice getting into my Rainier in the nice warm garage! LOL

I picked up that 1990 Suburban yesterday after work so that is now in the shop now and started tearing it apart. All but the driver seat and carpet is out of the truck. Screwed up though and am now missing some skin on the tips of two fingers on my left hand... Stupid trim - that **** is sharp! I worked for about 3 hours last night before lacerating myself and calling it quits.

Tonight I am giving my fingers a chance to heal before going back at it tomorrow night. I want to get the whole front end torn down so that this weekend I can pull the engine and trans.

I basically have 2-3 weeks before the shop will be filled back up by my parent's fifth wheel travel trailer.

Quick Reply: New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!