Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Clanking/popping noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
sschuler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clanking/popping noise in front end

My 2003 S10 Blazer started making this clanking/ popping noise periodically from under the front driver side floor (more towards the front end though) about a month or two ago. The occurances were few and far between then, but gradually they ofcourse increased. Now, meaning today, the clank/pop noise is like every bump, turn, sneeze, cough, ect. It tends to do it more (waaaaay more) at speeds under 35, but I might just not be able to hear them at higher speeds due to a whistling door that needs a bushing or my exsesivly loud music. I also at times can almost feel the popping noise under my feet. Tonight I had a brilliant idea... I rolled down my driver side window, exited the knocking peice of crap,shut the door and rocked the vehicle with moderate force in a side-to-side/up and down motion. Sure enough, coming from my driver side wheel well area there came that wonderful noise... over and over again each time the weight of the S10 came down on it. So, with doing that, being a lame-brained girl with absolutely no knowledge of automotive mechanics other than working at an autoparts warehouse- I did the only thing I could think of... I came here andwrote this long drawn-outposting begging for anyones advise!!! Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Clanking/popping noise in front end

Sounds like the problem I had when my ball joints were going out. But mine sounded more of a squeaking/grinding noise. Always happened when going over bumps, bouncing the truck up and down, going slow ect. Sounded like it was coming from the driver side wheel well just like you are explaining. So maybe that's a possibility. What you could do before replacing anything is maybe re-grease the ball joints and check for wear up front and see if it goes away. Blazers are known for bad ball joints. Mine did until I got in my wreck and needed to replace them.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 AM
sschuler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Clanking/popping noise in front end

I'll grab some proper lube from my work and give it a shot. Someone told me it might be my torsion bar bushings... is that a possibility or can I rule that out?