Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

increasing towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM
lonerider is on a distinguished road
Default increasing towing capacity

Will adding suspension add on my 1998 blazer increase the towing capacity

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It would add some to the weight carrying capacity, but I doubt that it would materially change the towing capacity.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Your towing capacity is figured by the factory based on engine size, trans, & gear ratio size & weight of truck, tire size, wheel base, etc. I see trucks upside down all the time with trailers from towing TOO BIG & HEAVY a trailer with TOO SMALL OF TRUCK. I see one a week in the summer on the Nevada interstate. Ours has a 5000# rating & believe me that is enough weight to pull.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah suspension addititions will just prevent sag,the 4l60-e and the 4.3 cant move more than the 5000 without strengthening them also. Im not saying in a pinch I wouldnt due it once,but I wouldnt plan on doing it weekly with it.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:55 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by portcqb
Yah suspension addititions will just prevent sag,the 4l60-e and the 4.3 cant move more than the 5000 without strengthening them also. Im not saying in a pinch I wouldnt due it once,but I wouldnt plan on doing it weekly with it.
Yea I agree, if I had to move something a short distance & couldn't find a bigger truck I would move it also. But I wouldn't be rolling down the highway 70 mph.
We keep a Ford F250 4x4 around for heavy hauling anyway.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would towing my 95 Trans Am (~3400#) to an occassional autox or RR be too much for these Blazers? Or would it be able to handle it ok? I had always driven it to autox before, but now that it's no longer my daily driver after buying the Blazer, I've considered towing it in case of damage at a race. I've added a trans cooler, have the towing package, Vette servo, General 30x9.5 tires, and will soon be doing a 1.5-2" lift (either shackle or add leaf and will also get a tune and CAI for a little more hp/tq as well as some Hawk brake pads. Will my Blazer be able to handle it?

Last edited by kgkern01; 08-03-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I tow a car on a trailer occasionally. I leave the tranny in 3rd (not overdrive) and leave myself plenty of room for stopping. Also, be sure to run a tranny cooler if you make a habit of this.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Lenny, looks like you need about a 2" ball drop on that hitch.
Or, is the ball mounted on the bumper?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

It's bumper mounted.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
I tow a car on a trailer occasionally. I leave the tranny in 3rd (not overdrive) and leave myself plenty of room for stopping. Also, be sure to run a tranny cooler if you make a habit of this.

wow i didn't know bumper hitches were that strong. it figured it was for light towing and ripping bushes outta the yard lol.

Quick Reply: increasing towing capacity