Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

replacing pitman shaft seals - no visible snap ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
leaky_seals is on a distinguished road
Angry replacing pitman shaft seals - no visible snap ring

Recently I discovered that the pitman shaft seal on my steering gear is leaking. I now have to add power steering fluid every few times that I drive it. I picked up a steering gear pitman shaft seal kit from Oriely (#8717) along with other stuff that I needed. If I enter my car information on other sites like Rockauto I find kits that look the same. I got the pitman arm off with a pitman arm puller from Autozone after first trying to use my cheap 3 jaw puller and snapping its bolts. Then I cleaned a few gobs of grease and other grime from around the pitman shaft only to find that there isn't a snap ring there. The visible side of the seal(s) is rubber around the shaft, metal in the center (perhaps with a very thin rubber coating) and rubber on the outer part where it fits into the steering gear casing where it seems to be held in by a lip. It doesn't look like there's a spot for a snap ring. It doesn't look like any of the ones in my kit. I'd prefer to replace the seals myself as opposed to getting a remanufactured steering gear but I don't think the ones I bought will work. Attached is a picture of the pitman shaft seal area of the steering gear.

I can't seem to find any drawings or pictures online that match the seal that I see without a snap ring (aka retainer). I've seen pictures/videos/drawings showing a steering gear with the kind of seals I was expecting to find that otherwise looks nearly identical to what I have. Google has lead me to this forum a few times in the past with helpful information but obviously no luck this time.

What seal kits would be compatible with my steering gear?
If I got a remanufactured steering gear like one of the ones that show up for my vehicle on Rockauto would I have any compatibility (or other) issues?

Vehicle: stock 1999 Chevy blazer LS 2wd 148k miles
Relevant looking RPOs:
N40 - Steering: Power non-variable ratio
Z85 - chassis package: increased capacity

Steering gear markings:
number cast into casing:25 (2 above 5)
The forward most round part has 5689010 on it and a sticker that says LJ

Attached Thumbnails replacing pitman shaft seals - no visible snap ring-pitman_seal.jpg