1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1991 S-10 Blazer 4wd - Drivetrain Grinding Noises?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM
pirkeltooned is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1991 S-10 Blazer 4wd - Drivetrain Grinding Noises?

Hey guys, new member here with a real confusing problem Here's what I know:

Problem: When I come to a stop sign, completely stop, and begin to take off again (Or when starting from park to drive foreward) I have a LOUD grinding noise, and it goes away for the most part once it shifts to second gear (Automatic transmission). It does hang up around the top of first gear, as if something is holding it back, simular to a faulty brake caliper, then it shifts and the noise pretty much goes away.

How it happened: I was doing about 60mph, truck driving normal as usual, and I heard a loud clunk, the engine stalled for a second after a harsh jerk, then the engine began to run normal again and it kept driving. Upon braking to investigate, it seemed to be fine until it down shifted to first at a near crawl, very loud grinding noise.

I parked, checked the drivetrain, couldn't see anything obvious. I went to move and it felt like the brakes had all locked up, I put it in 4wd, assuming that if it was stuck somehow it may brake free, and allow me to limp her home, since it drove fine at higher speeds. After a little gas, and rocking the truck, it starting moving again, just had that grinding sound all through first gear. I did limp it home at about 40mph (Staying away from first gear, except stop signs).

What I tried so far:
-Checked trans fluid, level appropriot, doesn't smell burnt
-Replaced front brake pads + front calipers, left old rotors on for now (Thought maybe the calipers were hanging up, and simply released when the speed was high enough to bounce the pad against the caliper piston, and release the tension) No improvement.
-Tried to diagnose the noise in the driveway with a buddy driving it back and forth. Its coming from the trans/transfer case area? Too loud to pinpoint at this time

What Im wondering:
Is it possible my transfer case is screwed up? Maybe the chain (If these use a chain) inside has developed a nasty slop and is fine once the RPM's are high enough through the drivetrain?

U joints and driveshafts seem to be just fine

Is it possible to break something in the transmission that would produce this noise, still drive but feel like something is producing resistance, but virtually goes away once it shifts to second gear?

Any help would be GREAT!!! I love this freaking truck, it has been soooo good to me until now, I just don't wanna dump money into more parts that won't fix it :\ Thanks in advance!

-Kyle

P.S. I need a digital gauge cluster for this thing too... if anyone has any leads

Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 AM

Any ideas? :\ Ill take any suggestions lol

Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Motor mounts bad enough that the fan is hitting the shroud?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Motor mounts bad enough that the fan is hitting the shroud?
Nope. I put her in nuetral today and slowly rolled it back down the driveway, suddenly "Caught" after a few seconds (Engine not running) and locked up, couldnt move it without firing the engine up n putting it in gear. Leaning towards transfer case, just not sure why it locks up under this situation, but is fine once the vehicle shifts to second gear while driving? :\