1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'84 2.8, E2SE - Insane Overfueling, No-Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
drrty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '84 2.8, E2SE - Insane Overfueling, No-Start

I recently pulled the carb, replaced gaskets and plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and fuel pickup to carb line on my '84 Blazer with the 2.8 and E2SE carburetor. All of these items looked to be 5+ years old, while the fuel filter looked like more of a hard-paper restrictor than a filter. Whoever worked on the truck previously had adjusted fueling so that it would always start easily, and it apparently got terrible gas mileage but did run. Everything went back together to what I believe is correct based on the incredibly convoluted emissions diagram. All carb linkages look right.

The engine will not start and hold an idle. Cranking for more than a few seconds pushes huge amounts of fuel out of the front flap on the float bowl assembly, which can be seen "shooting" out of the flap intermittently with the air filter housing removed. After a lot of cranking fuel also leaks from the evaporator/canister/tank return near the lower front driver's side of the bay. Cranking for too long makes the carb breathe fire![:-] I see smoke billowing out of the exhaust pipe during cranking, so there is some combustion going on here. Cranking also sometimes yields a firing or "turned over" sound like the engine is going to start, but it then dies immediately. I suspect the extreme flooding must be preventing the engine from starting and idling? I'm thinking the lazy mechanic that worked on it previously must have just turned up the fuel to avoid having to replace the fuel filter/restrictor so that it would idle properly, which may be where the flooding is coming from.

What are some possible solutions? Is this simply a fueling problem, or could it be vacuum-related? Is there a simple max fuel-type screw somewhere on the carb that can be adjusted, and if so, where is it located? Any help is greatly appreciated in advance I'd like to get this vehicle running!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Default RE: '84 2.8, E2SE - Insane Overfueling, No-Start

Bump for any help. Carb issue?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
onecrazyfoo4u is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: '84 2.8, E2SE - Insane Overfueling, No-Start

Sounds like definite fuel to me. I have the same year and carb as you, and the guy I bought it from said that he put in bigger 'performance' jets in the carb. So maybe they put too big of jets in yours, constantly flooding it....maybe check into that. Sorry can't be more of a help, just bought my truck a couple months ago!

On a side note, where was the fuel filter in your truck, I can't seem to find it?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 84 2.8, E2SE - Insane Overfueling, No-Start

The E2SE is a finicky little thing for sure. IMO, they never ran right when tuned properly and just got bad from there.

About your problem, it sounds like the float in the carb is either not adjusted properly or is fuel logged and not cutting off the flow of fuel from the mechanical pump on the engine before it spills out of the bowl.

THIS POST has links to a lot of information on the Rochester 2SE and E2SE carbs.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM

onecrazyfoo4u: The fuel filter on my 2.8 V6 is at the end of the pump to carb fuel line, just inside the back driver's side edge of the carburetor.

Thanks for the info swartlkk. The more I learn about the E2SE, the more I want to swap engines out of this thing.

I've come across a V6 from a 92. I know the platform and mounts are the same, but will this bolt up to the automatic transmission from my 84? I realize I'll be adding an ECU and sensors. What else am I looking at changing? Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what motor you are talking about. The 4.3L is a 90* V engine which has a larger bell housing pattern to it so you would need to get another tranny. The electrical part is not so bad, but it takes patience and the right information to get everything wired back up.

I will be starting this process sometime soon with my K5 as I am picking up a 90 Suburban with a TBI 350 that I will be using in my 74 at some point. But I have a lot of projects ahead of that. Just getting the Suburban torn down to the parts I will keep, the parts I can sell, and the rest that is going to be scrapped will be a feat.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
jdf088 is on a distinguished road

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Webe...icles_s/28.htm

Found this in my search for carb info, thought it might come in handy for someone.