1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

85 s10 blazer, choke thermostat plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
gtchambers3 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 85 s10 blazer, choke thermostat plug

Where does this get wired into inside the dash??

My choke light is on, and I figured out the reason is because my thermostat/choke spring is not connected, so no juice going to that. Also explains why "cold" my engine doesnt want to run w/o me giving it gas as the choke is stuck fully open with the choke bar taken off so it doesn't stay closed...

Sigh, lazy mechanics, this is why I never go to them in the fist place.

I am having difficulty finding the wire in the engine compartment, and the only info I could pull on the forums was that it "wired into a resistance wire" inside the dash? The electric diagrams in the Haynes book only show the FI model info.

I could use some assistance with where this wires into, I got the part for $1 off ebay and am ready to put it on and get my truck back to running better and so I no longer get only 6 MPG... OMG expensive beast

Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The choke coil wire should run from the choke coil to the EFE (early fuel evap) relay on the firewall.

This schematic should help:

Attached Thumbnails 85 s10 blazer, choke thermostat plug-85_efe_choke.gif  
Old 02-06-2010, 03:09 PM

dude you're good, do you have tonights winning lotto numbers too? lol!

Thanks for your help. I am going to fiddle with it now.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Unhappy

after breaking into the harness that wrapped the wires coming to the EFE Relay (on the firewall, next to the wiper motor to the right... confirmed w/ picture on rockauto.com (great place for parts btw... fully loaded control arms (DORMAN) $130 compared to $200 @ autozone/advance))

And I noticed the 3rd section did have two wires. One that disappeared down towards the pump, and the LT BL that travelled to the other side of the car, where i assume the plug to the ECM would have been.

You see, my truck does not have the EVAP system or the ECM - The person who owned before I ... for whatever reason chose to plug it all up. I don't remember this choke light coming on until after I got it back from the mechanics when I had the tranny put back in after being rebuilt.

I realize after reading into the EFE system, it says that it is controlled by the ECM as it reads the coolant temperature. SO am I chasing a dead end anyway? Also, my choke spring has no resistance in either direction it seems when I roll the choke adjusting bar back and forth ad the joint on the back of the carb that has the horizontal bar across connecting the spring.

Advice?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the choke coil is like most typical choke coils, it is basically a short circuit. When the circuit powers up, it heats up the coil causing it to expand and unwind. As this happens, it opens up the choke.

My advice would be to pull the bulb for the choke indicator in the dash and wire up the choke coil to a positive ignition source.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM

lol okay, sounds like an interesting plan. I will take that into consideration. Thanks for your help. I wondered if thats all I would need to have done, on the basis that it's a single wire... What else would it be other than a power after ignition is on? (were my thoughts)