1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

90 4.3 s-10 blazer: Is it worth rebuilding the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM
icyberia is on a distinguished road
Question 90 4.3 s-10 blazer: Is it worth rebuilding the motor?

Hey I bought my truck a couple years ago and I freaking love it.

she's got 239,000 on the original engine and transmission. but she's started leaking out pretty bad, and running really rough, I uncle is a mechanic but lives 7 hours away. I was talking to him and he said the engin probably needs to be rebuilt. I was wondering if this truck is worth it? I know thats a hard question to asnwer, but I really love it. Its ether that or buy another POS that might last a year or two.

Tax season is coming up and I'm planing on using my returns to either fix this truck or buy something else (less then $1500)
so thats another question, how much (ballpark figure) would you expect to pay to get the motor rebuilt.

current condition:
body - good
electrical - good
interior - kinda good
suspension - good
brakes - good

the only real issues:
motor(duh)
broken passanger window
stearing wheel wobles
gas gage floats around

I really hope this is enough info.

thanks guys.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road

I would say we're in the same boat. I have a '92 w./ 170k on the odometer, and have been debating rebuilding the 4.3 myself or buying a rebuilt. What I have found out surprised me. More on that in a minute...

I am a "shade tree" mechanic {i.e; without SAE certification, but have been working on vehicles for about 40 years, so I am fairly well experienced to give you an idea of "where I am coming from"

The cost of me to take a bare block to a machine shop and have them do the usual cleaning, magna-fluxing (MOST important ((imo)), as you don't want to waste time/money rebuilding a 'pos' block right? The cost is $400 to $600. on average around the country. THEN, the rebuild parts alone without even buying new pistons or crank, or cam, (the most expensive parts), is another $300 to $500. or so...

So I got to thinking, why spend $700. to $1,100. which does NOT include all my labor incl./ pulling the motor, re-installing it and so on. When you think about it, that is at LEAST another $1,000 for 50 to 80 hours of work by the time all is said and done...And there is always cost over-runs when estimating how much time you "think" it will take as opposed to reality---LOL!---

A rebuilt w./ a WARRANTY of at LEAST 1 year at most all companies is around $1,200. plus core w./ most places. Make SURE to see that they will pay the return freight costs on your core motor as some places do NOT pay return freight costs, so you're out $300. or more bucks! The problem is finding a REPUTABLE company that doesn't use foreigners that can't even read spec's. as our shop manuals are written in english right? So, do your home-work if buying, and try to buy from a rebuilder CLOSE to your locale as possible!

Now, if you're REALLY into rebuilding the motor as I was as a younger buck, then go for it! I'm just not sure I want the hassle of doing all that anymore, old age does that to ya' . Take care and let us know how you make out if you want!?

Last edited by BlazeringSaddles; 11-07-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Beginning Member
90Conan is on a distinguished road

may I suggest everdrive. 3 year warranty, used but lower miles. What I use

Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

x2. a used low mileage 4.3 with a warranty would be your best bet for $ and reliability

Old 02-21-2010, 02:09 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah the low milage used engine is the way to go. I know the parts yards around here have an "all you can carry for 50 day" so if you are strong, or take a buddy to help it might cost 100. Most of the stuff there wont run and doesnt have keys, or oil, so ask them for 5 litres of old oil and for a battery and jump the starter to do a comression test on it before you pull it out of the donor truck. Try and find a doner that looks like its in the yard cause it was smashed, not cause the motor died. There is alot of good candidates in my local yard between blazers, s10s and astro vans. Heck, even some full size half tons have a 4.3

Fun story. I used to work with a really big fat dude (470 pounds 6 foot 5) that carried a 5.9 v8 for his dodge out the gate with a transmission hanging from ropes over his shoulders onto his back, and the wiring harness tied around his waist. He made the local paper for it too. Almost had a heart attack, but he got the works for 50 bucks. I think that must have been about 900 pounds total (750 engine and 150 transmission) People were allowed to help him pick it all up, but he had to carry it himself. He said they would let him have it for that if he could carry it about 100 feet from the office area to the yard gate with alot of people cheering him on. Someone helped him put the engine down outside so he didnt have to drop it... I watched this guy dead lift 750 pounds of frieght off the scale at our trucking depot before too, it was a massive oil drilling bit in a case with a T handle on top. I never made fun of him either cause it would be like ticking off a buffalo.

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-21-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 AM
BF Veteran

pics or it never happened

Old 02-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Beginning Member
90Conan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
pics or it never happened
this.

Also junk yards do not warranty for jack. Everdrive gives a 3 year unlimited mileage. It'll cost more than $100 bucks but when that sucker goes sky high, you aren't without a motor

Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran

this what?
link to the fat car man?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have an 89 S15 Jimmy that is my daily driver and I am the original owner. I replaced both the engine and transmission with GM Goodwrench brand. (not at the same time) GM Goodwrench engines and transmissions come with very good warrenties. If you call around you could get the engine for under 2,000 and I know that is more than you have right now. But if you can install it your self you would have a very good motor at a decent price. The auto part stores all sell engines and they may be just fine but if you have a problems with one it is up to you to get back to the builder for inspection. With GM Goodwrench engines and transmissions any GM dealer can do warranty work. Below is a link for GM Goodwrench. The 4.3 I purchased was a remanufactored engine that is a complete engine minus sheet metal, Intake system, flywheel, and front accessories. You need to transfer those items from the original engine. I did the swap myself with out any helpers. Engine hoist and stand are a must.

http://www.goodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/Engines.jsp
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...43-P39C62.aspx

Last edited by mr.vls; 02-22-2010 at 08:36 AM.