1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

92 blazer wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:03 PM
gregvnuck is on a distinguished road
Default 92 blazer wont crank

i ave a 1992 blazer that wont turn over, the engine is not tied up and turns easily with a ratchet on the balancer, the starter tested good, the battery is new as are the cables. when you turn the key you can hear the starter engage the flywheel, but it wont turn the engine over. every thing else still works, lights, radio, fuel pump. ect. any ideas? i checked the fuses and they are good, is there a relay somewhere?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

So what are you saying, it wont crank at all? The starter just stops, or the engine just cranks and cranks with no starting? Turns easy with a ratchet on the balancer? How easily is easily?

Is there fuel spraying out of the injectors when you are trying to start it?
Is there spark?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM

no the starter wont turn the engine. i have good compression on all 6 cly. i also tried turning the engine over with a screwdriver on the flywheel while the starter was out and was able to turn it that way.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default I will try to help

1. Did the check the teeth on the starter and the fly wheel. Of course if they was worn out. You would normally hear this horrible noise when you try to start. Since it is doing nothing but spinning the starter gear and not turning the engine at all.

2. When they tested the starter. Did they check to make sure the solonid would push out the gear?

3. You can try to get one of those starter cables. That goes directly to the starter and by passes the ignition. I don't think it is called a starter cable. maybe somebody could chime in. I know on the ford f150 I owned. There was a place on the firewall you could tap and it would start.

4. Check cables and voltages. Probably I should have put the #1 on list. Make sure the cable from the ignition is clean and tight.

5. Could just be a bad starter. You hit is with the a hammer or does it make any noise at all. But I would check the wires and stuff first. But you can have a starter tested and it is weak or on its way out and not work. I had this happen before and insited they test it again.

6. might be battery cable but that is why you need to take a volt meter and check the voltages at the starter. oh and is your battery terminals clean? The cable that goes to power the rest of the truck can run stuff just fine and if you battery terminals and not clean. You car will not start. I was talking to a person about that and thought it was the starter. But I didn't have time to look at the car. Luckly before they got a new starter. Somebody else looked at the engine and the battery terminals was covered in white garbage. I never thought of that because I try to keep my vehicles in tip top shapes.

Perhaps other could chime in and they are correct. Sounds like the engine is not turing at all but I would hope you would get some kind of noise from the starter. If nothing at all. The as above. check cables, voltages, and try the remote starter switch. It is just a button with handle and two cables. One goes to the starter and the other goes to the battery I think. Then you can press the button and see if the starter does anything. If it turns over just fine. Probably have a issue with the ignition switch or cable going to the stater. The small cable.

Hopefully somebody will chime in and give better instructions and probably in order. I have it in my mind what to check for. I have had to do it before.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ussexplorer
1. Did the check the teeth on the starter and the fly wheel. Of course if they was worn out. You would normally hear this horrible noise when you try to start. Since it is doing nothing but spinning the starter gear and not turning the engine at all.

2. When they tested the starter. Did they check to make sure the solonid would push out the gear?

3. You can try to get one of those starter cables. That goes directly to the starter and by passes the ignition. I don't think it is called a starter cable. maybe somebody could chime in. I know on the ford f150 I owned. There was a place on the firewall you could tap and it would start.

4. Check cables and voltages. Probably I should have put the #1 on list. Make sure the cable from the ignition is clean and tight.

5. Could just be a bad starter. You hit is with the a hammer or does it make any noise at all. But I would check the wires and stuff first. But you can have a starter tested and it is weak or on its way out and not work. I had this happen before and insited they test it again.

6. might be battery cable but that is why you need to take a volt meter and check the voltages at the starter. oh and is your battery terminals clean? The cable that goes to power the rest of the truck can run stuff just fine and if you battery terminals and not clean. You car will not start. I was talking to a person about that and thought it was the starter. But I didn't have time to look at the car. Luckly before they got a new starter. Somebody else looked at the engine and the battery terminals was covered in white garbage. I never thought of that because I try to keep my vehicles in tip top shapes.

Perhaps other could chime in and they are correct. Sounds like the engine is not turing at all but I would hope you would get some kind of noise from the starter. If nothing at all. The as above. check cables, voltages, and try the remote starter switch. It is just a button with handle and two cables. One goes to the starter and the other goes to the battery I think. Then you can press the button and see if the starter does anything. If it turns over just fine. Probably have a issue with the ignition switch or cable going to the stater. The small cable.

Hopefully somebody will chime in and give better instructions and probably in order. I have it in my mind what to check for. I have had to do it before.

Thanks,

Josh
i tried everything i can think of. thats why i wanted to know if there might be a relay on the fire wll. the parts store said no but they dont always know. lol