1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ALDL and collecting data on 93 s10 vortec

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default ALDL and collecting data on 93 s10 vortec

I got a 93 s10 blazer with a vortec engine. It stalls once in a while and I was wondering with one of these aldl cables, notebook and software. Can I log data from it. So if I drive it around alot and it stalls. Could it give me enough information? Since when it does the computer does not store a code. I'm afraid if I get the cable It will just tell me the computer has code 12 in it. My brother said if it was obdII he would just plug his little data collector into it. I could drive it around and when it died. Ir probably would tell me what it was. But since this is OBDI we don't know if it would just tell us the codes (that we can get with jumping the terminals.) or if it would log any data streamed out. The only other thing I could find was a ecm or rom upgrade. But I don't want to do anything like that if I can log data out of the stock computer.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
phonedawgz is on a distinguished road

Hi

Yes you can log data with it. You can see the inputs in real time and the outputs. Here is a video of a 94 S10 4.3 W(Vortex) scanning in real time.

Note - The 'glitch' problem has been fixed in the .ADX files supplied with my disk.

Will it tell you what the problem is? Maybe. Let's say one of your sensors wacks out and that bad input is causing the ECM to change the mixture so lean that the engine stops running. Yes you would be able to see that. However let's say the problem is the small two wire cable between the coil and the ICM (located in the distributor). If that wire cuts out you will lose ignition and the engine will stop running. The only indication TunerPro would show you is that the engine stopped running, which is exactly what it would show anyway.

ECM or ROM upgrade? Maybe your ECM is going bad, but I'd doubt it. ICM (Ignition Control Modules) and wiring are much more likely the cause of your problem. No an updated ROM isn't going to solve a problem that hasn't occurred in the first 25 years of the life of your Blazer.

Full disclosure. I sell the cables as Red Devil River. I supply a disk that includes instructions on setting up TunerPro RT and has all the .ADX files in a logical order. It also covers other OBD1 scanner software. I don't however sell TunerPro RT. TunerPro RT can be downloaded and ran for free. It runs after a 10 second 'nag' screen. You can purchase a license from TunerPro RT and avoid the nag screen.

The Youtube video is also mine.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
jaystoy is on a distinguished road

I use this cable and software, works awesome!! Well worth it, great data collection.