1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Annoying front brake squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annoying front brake squeaking

About 5,000 kms ago I did a complete front brake job, pads, rotors and rebuilt calipers. All went fine and had no problems until last week, it started squeaking from the front left side when applying the brakes, not a pulsing but a steady squeak. Not right away but around 4 seconds before I come to a complete stop. Stopping hard or soft makes no difference. Took it apart and all is as new, pad clips are fine, calipers are moving freely, bearings fine - checked run-out and none to speak of. No marks on the rotors as if something was caught between them and the pads. Re-lubed back of the pads and re-assembled, did nothing...still squeaks. A mechanic friend of mine suggested buying some pad lube, the kind you apply to the front of the pads, I've never heard of this...always thought anything on the pads will lube the rotors and make braking worse. Any thoughts on where to go from here or on lubricating the faces of the pads?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What brand and type of pads did you install?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the Monroe premium pads from Canadian Tire along with standard non-slotted rotors. I checked the run-out on the rotors before assembly and they were fine.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just did the brakes on my Rainier with Performance Friction Premium Ceramic pads and they squealed like crazy. I just got done putting some CRC brake quiet stuff on the back of the pads which should take care of the squeal. I should have know better and just done it that way from the start. I did not have any excuses other than laziness/forgetfulness...