1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Blazer takes a bit to warm up.. why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Nuzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer takes a bit to warm up.. why?

I own an 88 4wd with a 2.8.. fuel injected s10 blazer. After the Blazer has sat over 2 hours it takes about 5 mins to warm it up to be able to drive it. If you try to drive it before it warms up it is extreamly sluggish, will sometimes backfire and or stall. Any help would be appreciated.

thanx - Nuzman

Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer takes a bit to warm up.. why?

My grandfather's '89 S10 was like this quite often. What we found was that the fuel injectors were gummed up and not firing properly until the entire engine came up to temperature. We ran fuel injector cleaner through a few tanks and my dad and I would beat the crap out of it (literally) whenever we drove it and it would help. One of the problems was that my grandfather only had 1/8 mile to drive it everyday (to the farm) and he'd use 2nd gear until he was on the road, then straight to 5th (manual 5 speed). I don't think that truck ever saw over 2000rpm for more than an instant. The rest of the time was just lugging around. And I know for a fact that he never drove it over 40mph.

The problem would come back usually late fall as the temps started to drop. We'd do the same thing every year for it. A few bottles of Chevron w/ Techron over a few tanks of gas and beat the snot out of it.

So what I would recommend is run atleast 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner, 1 per tank of fuel over 2 tank fulls. I would also recommend that you atleast check the plugs/wires/cap/rotor. If a full tune up hasn't been done in a while, then just replace them. Before you replace the plugs, maybe do a seafoam upper intake treatment (you'll need to change the oil afterwords as well) and see how that does.

Other preventative maintenance would be to pull off the EGR valve (new gasket will be required) and give it a good cleaning to remove all of the built up carbon inside.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:47 PM

Sounds good .. went out and purchased plugs, wires, pcv valve, airfilter and cap.. didn't think of grabing a new rotor.. this week I have replaced the fuel filter and pump. Soon as a get a free couple of hours will go outside and begin the tuneup. Thnx for the info.. much appreciated!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey if this only happens with a cold engine..I'd bet your heat stove is missing or disconnected?
check the flexable tube connecting the exhuast manifold to the engine air cleaner...it is used to heat the air on cold start up and provide better fuel attomization, but often gets chucked in the trash and forgotten.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Hrmm .. ok off the air cleaner on the bottom there looks like there should be a hose connected but can not see on the exaust manifold a place to connect one.. also from the air cleaner to the grill no duct hose either.. is this important?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 AM

ok.. update time.

Replaced plugs with ac delco rapid fire... new set of wires... and a borg warner dist. cap. also replaced the fuel filter, air filter and pcv valve. also took the pre heater hose off my old camaro attatched it to the breather and have it just laying on top the exhaust manifold due to no where to connect it. Still takes the 5-10 mins to warm up but she runs alot better once she has warmed up. checked the codes on the chk engine light by jumping terminal A to terminal B on the ALDL connector under the drivers side dash and got a 12 and a 42. so the 12 isn't anything to worry bout but the 42 seems to be an issue and I researched it on this forum and it looks like im in for a long diagnostic battle. My next question is if i am getting a code 42.. electric spark timing... could this be causing my truck to take longer to warm up due to electrical timing malfunction?