1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Few Q's From a Noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 AM
boredchimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Few Q's From a Noob

Hey everyone, Ive got a 85 s-10 blazer and the 2.8L blew up. Wanted to drop in a 4.3L and had a few questions/concerns.
From what I hear, it should just drop in, the engine mounts should match?
The torque converter has three mounting places, does the flex plate on the 4.3 have the same, or should I get the trans with the new motor?
Go carbed or FI for the new motor? The original 2.8 was carbed, so would keeping it carbed keep it simple?
Thats about all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll find something when I start throwing it together. Thanks

Marty

Old 05-01-2006, 03:06 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Few Q's From a Noob

diff. trans, new motor mounts for the 4.3, I'd go carb if you dont want to mess with all the wiring.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To put some more info into what blazin97 has stated. The bellhousing bolt pattern/size is different on the back of the 2.8L. So the bellhousing on the trans will also be different. The 2.8L is a 60* v6 (narrow) while the 4.3L is a conventional 90* v6 (wider). The bellhousing pattern on a 4.3L is the same pattern used on small block v8s.

If already carb'd, stay carb'd. Unless you want to go through all of the wiring and splice in a TBI or MPI injection system. If it were me, I'd stay carb'd.

So yeah, you'd have to change the trans. If you are going to go through all of that trouble, drop in a 350 v8.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ Ditto.
If you want a bigger engine, get a 3.4L V6. It will drop right in, and GM sells them. In fact you cannot buy a rebuilt 2.8L from GM, they will sell you the 3.4L. Maybe you got the 3.4L confused with the 4.3L. Both are V6's, just one will drop right in and bolt to your tranny, while the other wont.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:34 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the 3.1 or 3.4 will "drop right in". The 4.3 is a lot of trouble, but also worth it. The v8 is a little over the top in this day and age.

To expand on the 3.4. The 2.8 was a good motor and was improved a couple of years later to the 3.1, so its essentially the same motor. The 3.4 is the "bored and stroked" version of the 2.8 and also essentially the same motor. Short blocks are also available if you just wish to change out the bottom. Used ones are available everywhere. Camaros are a good source for blazer parts also.

I'v done the research, but its better to do your own. The 3.4 is the best combo for a normal, streetable going to work and back, everyday driver. Of course you have to be looking for that. If looking to hotrod your blazer, go to it.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 PM
boredchimp is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to use a 4.3L bc its basically a SB minus two pistons. Well, thats not the only reason.

I don't mind moving motor mounts around.

I'm looking to get the motor (and I guess the trans) from a junkyard in a few weeks. Thought about trying to build a ty/sy turboed 4.3L, but you'd have to run premium fuel, right? Plus it seemed like alot of work for someone who hasn't done this before. I'm building it for decent power and fuel economy (of course, who wouldn't). I'll rummage thru the threads here and get more info.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

To install a 4.3 you'll be doing a basic v8 installation. Only it'll be a v6. Motor mounts and tranny are the same. If you're interested in performance, get a decent cam into it before installing it. Performance manifolds and distributors are also available for those not using the computer.

To get info on motor mounts and such, check out this site. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

To make that 4speed auto tranny work right, no computer needed, get with this mod. http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=336

Make sure you treat the tv cable properly on that tranny, thats seriously important. Check out this page.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/tvcable_inst...e_install.html

Old 05-06-2006, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I am also considering dropping a 4.3L into a S10-Blazer that currently has a 2.8L. Nothing wrong with the 2putt8 engine, just a little under powered, especially once I do the solid axle swap and put on bigger tires.

I have the 4.3L in my garage. I just need a tranny which I will rebuild. I will also rebuild the 4.3 before I drop it in. I want to keep my rig as light as possible and wheel the **** out of it. I don't need tire spinning power to be happy. I am way past the impress the guys or girls stage.