1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fueling my annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Caribbean_Comanche is on a distinguished road
Default Fueling my annoyance

I have a `94 S-10 Blazer w/ the Vortec. A few weeks ago, she would not start, but will crank. I never really heard the fuel pump hum at all. Replaced the relay, then the fuel pump. Tried to start her after that but the fuel pump is still not priming & there is no pressure in the line at all. I've been lurking through the threads, but haven't really found anything else. I'm at wits end & would like a direction to go in. Any ideas?????

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you getting power (+12V) and a good ground to the fuel pump? At the fuel pump relay?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Me & a buddy plan on checking that better in the morning. I kinda suspect some wierd wiring somewhere, but can't stand chasing wires. I also wrote down some ideas from your link in your sig as well.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Apologies. Yes, I tested the wires & grounds & everything seem fine. When I tested the wires from the engine, the light was slightly dimmer than the wires that come from the fuel pump. Is it posible it is the ignition switch, crank sensor, or fuel pressure regulator??????

Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 AM

Bump-----------I got the day off & would like to get this over with.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Are you sure it's the correct pump? It has happened before that members of this board have requested the pump for the Vortec intake which puts out around 60psi and received the pump for the TBI intake which only puts out about 12psi. You might want to check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter inlet.

If you have low pressure back at the filter then you probably have the wrong pump. If you have high pressure then you probably have a restriction somewhere forward of the filter. If you find low pressure then you most likely have the incorrect pump.

Before you check the pressure back at the filter you should test the pump prime connector on the firewall if you haven't already. It's a single wire sticking out of the wire bundle along the firewall near the center of the truck. Run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the prime connector. I made a special wire with a 10A fuse, a switch, and a spade terminal on one end and a clip on the other end to make testing easier. With +12V applied the pump should start running. Since you've already checked the wiring going back to the pump then if it doesn't run you may have a bad pump.

Good luck. Fuel pump issues drive me crazy... and that's a short trip.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
Are you sure it's the correct pump? It has happened before that members of this board have requested the pump for the Vortec intake which puts out around 60psi and received the pump for the TBI intake which only puts out about 12psi. You might want to check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter inlet.

If you have low pressure back at the filter then you probably have the wrong pump. If you have high pressure then you probably have a restriction somewhere forward of the filter. If you find low pressure then you most likely have the incorrect pump.

Before you check the pressure back at the filter you should test the pump prime connector on the firewall if you haven't already. It's a single wire sticking out of the wire bundle along the firewall near the center of the truck. Run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the prime connector. I made a special wire with a 10A fuse, a switch, and a spade terminal on one end and a clip on the other end to make testing easier. With +12V applied the pump should start running. Since you've already checked the wiring going back to the pump then if it doesn't run you may have a bad pump.

Good luck. Fuel pump issues drive me crazy... and that's a short trip.
Thnx. I actually tried the single wire to the + battery post & had no luck. I was suspecting a faulty/bad pump so I'll try a new fuel pump on payday here.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Cool,just PLEASE stick with oem pumps,as in dont go the cheap route. these blazers are picky!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

there not picky after markets tend to die in less then a year

Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Lesson learned.