2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP! Fueling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM
puckrocker is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! Fueling Problem

Recently we've had trouble fueling our '03 Blazer. You put the nozzle in and you can maybe get about a half a gallon in before the pump's auto-shut off kicks in. It's like there is something preventing the fuel from flowing down into the tank. I looked at the fill pipe going to the tank but I didn't see anything like a dented pipe or a crimped hose or anything visible from the outside. Is there any sort of a screen at the fuel tank that might be clogged with debris? Do I have to drop the fuel tank to remove the fill pipe? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
puckrocker is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble fueling and showing codes

I posted before about having trouble fueling my 2003 Blazer. After a lot of research, alot of signs are pointing to the charcoal canister and/or the purge selenoid. The codes I'm showing are P0442 and P0446, which are both pointing to problems in the EVAP system. Has anyone else had a fueling problem and/or showed these codes? I know one possibility I've read about is something actually blocking fuel access to the tank (when fueling, the little amount of fuel I can get in is getting backed up and flowing in slowly), but the charcoal canister and the purge selenoid are so much easier accessible and I'd rather avoid dropping the tank. Any info is helpful, and I'm a true amateur that has owned Fords and Dodges all my life (the Blazer is my wife's), so if you have photos and/or diagrams so I can see what the hell I'm looking for that would be great.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member
motorcity blazer is on a distinguished road

First of all welcome to the right american car manufacturer GM. I'm assuming you have a 4.3 in your '03 blazer? Both the purge selenoid and charcoal canister are very easy to find. The charcoal canister is behind the driver side rear tire inside the fender looks like a black box. The Purge selenoid is also in the rear of the vehicle. Remove the spare tire and you will see it mounted on a crossmember above. It is the size of a deck of cards roughly. Sorry I don't have pics but there are some on this forum.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Combining two threads concerning the same issue. It's easier if you keep it together so we can see the entire picture.*

Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

how many miles on it. I had a 03 in the shop recently-althought the celoniod is a cheaper item to replace, this 03 ended up being the canister. I stock both items and can test the celoniod so trying the canister wasn't a big issue. Wonder if you could unhook the lines to the canister in a strategic way and fill it to see if this is the right path to follow? Wouldn't plug them though just unhook and attempt to fill. Jerry-I suspect the canister...