1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

hood wont open without two people

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:33 PM
skitzobmxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hood wont open without two people

hey guys i got another problem, my hood wont open unless i have one person push down on the hood while i pull the hood release, any ideas? thx

91 s10 blazer 4x4 4door 4.3L v6

Old 12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: hood wont open without two people

You'll want to lubricate the hood latch very well. Get it moving easily and it should fix the problem. I don't know if your latch is setup the same way as the 2nd gens, but on mine, I have a spring that is supposed to push on the latch mechanism when you pull on the lever inside the cab. Mine was all stretched out and wasn't holding its shape. I pulled it off and replaced it with another stronger spring as well as lubricating the latch and all is well!

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had that problem with my '94when I first got it. Justadjust the two little ***** (they are little bolt like things with a black rubber grommet on top)in the front two corners of your hood when it's opened up. It's just adjusted too low most likely. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm not sure. Hope that helps you out!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM

i adjusted the ***** and sprayed it with wd40 and it still gets stuck...ill take sum pics tomaro and show u

Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

I hit my hood in the middle where the latch is and it opens up. The cops think it's funny when I get my vehicle searched when picked for random inspections. Oh I live on an Air Force base so don't think I'm trying to smuggle any drugs.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:03 PM

haha ive tried that...ive tried pulling it up and sitting on it and bouncing up and down so far the only thing that works is if one person pushes on the hood and another pulls the release...idk i cant find a digital camera or id take sum pictures of the latch and the hood

Old 12-16-2006, 12:18 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

for some reason either ur latch is too low or ur hood is set too high with the rubber stoppers, they must be lowered then. basically there is not enough play to allow for the latch to release. also try greasing the latches components, maybe just a little rusty?

Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

WD40 [sm=smiley35.gif]

Try getting some Liquid Wrench (yellow can it has rust remover in it), spay it down and let it soak in for a good 5 min. Then open and close the latch a few times. This will help remove all the build up between the moving parts and lube it up. You should spay the latch once every yr. to help keep it from sticking (I use the Liquid Wrench teal can for the yearly lubes on hinges and latches). MFG says to use 10w-30 to lube it. I say forget that, there is much better stuff out there to help keep it from rusting and/or sticking.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:09 AM

ya as soon as i can find sumone to push down on it again for me ill try that..thx guys ill get back to u after i lube it up

Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

yea stay away from wd-40 its goos for loosening bolts but it also has a tendency of wearing away quickly when it comes to moving parts. the liqiud wrench or any grease style lub will work.

Quick Reply: hood wont open without two people