1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Hydraulic arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 03:16 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hydraulic arms

I just replaced the back glass today-got it from a salvage yard. So I realized that the hydraulic arms are on my vehicle (not attached to the glass) and they don't work. Is this common? And I'm wondering if it's worth it to hunt them down at a salvage yard-or where can I get them new? Also, the glass came with the wiper motor attached (and wiper arm). So I've gotta figure out how tho splice the wires together. On the vehicle end, the wires are broken off short-like a millimeter to work with. Also can't figure out where to plug the rear defrost wire in. I wonder if this glass is from a different year and the specs are different? It's like the little plug is on the lower right on the glass-but nowhere to plug it in to. Hmmm...

Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hydraulic arms

You should be able to find the rear window struts from any autoparts store. Be prepared though, they are alittle pricey. As far as the wiper and defrost wires, you should be able to find the wires again somewhere inside the vehicle and extend them. As with any wiring repair, it should be soldered and shrink wrapped for the longest life. If the connections are going to be inside the vehicle and out of the elements, then you may be able to get by with normal crimp on wire connectors, but they don't last a lifetime.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:10 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as the window lifts go, you'd be better off buying new ones. I checked on some at work for my '87 and they're about $20-25 apiece.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:01 PM

So basically I'm not going to bother with the struts for now. But I want the wiper to work, so we've got to figure out if those wires can be pulled out at all for length (1 mm to work with) The wiper fluid tube is broken off right at the hole at the vehicle end too. If I can't get that to work it won't be that big of a deal though. Got the hood stripped and working on stripping the rest and primer this weekend. Even just having that much done and the window replaced has made it less "hillbilly". There used to be a piece of cut plexiglass in place of the back window-I bought it that way. I only have one gaping hole to repair. Got the rest done with fiberglass. Was able to pick up the 2 missing front wheel moldings at the salvage yard too. So I'll post pictures of my progress. As far as the engine goes, we've decided to sell it and look for a better Blazer. One with just minor issues. Hopefully I can find someone dumb enough to buy this one. Or maybe someone that wants to mess with it.

Also, what's that plasticy "shroud" thingy that extends down under the front bumper and around called? It extends down about 6'. Mine's cracked off in spots and looks like crap, but I don't know what to ask for at the salvage yard (if it's poss. to find an undamaged one)

Old 10-08-2005, 03:30 PM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

the defrost is wired through the struts. On the new struts you will see the plugs.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That shroud is called the front air dam. It is used to keep air under the vehicle from pressurizing behind the radiator, which would cause a lack of air flow through the radiator and result in an overheating vehicle.

*EDIT - wrote 'damn' instead of 'dam' LOL

Old 10-08-2005, 04:33 PM

It looked (when I looked last night) like the pleg on the window was on the lower right, where the plug on the strut was on the top. I'll look again. That's why I was wondering if the glass was from a different year. Because it didn't seem compatible. I'll report back ...