1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

More Than an Opinion Needed on Products For These Older Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member
J.R. Clay is on a distinguished road
Default More Than an Opinion Needed on Products For These Older Engines

Question: What product is Best to recondition The Cylinder walls? Piston Rings?
What product is Best to recondition The Valves? Valve seals?
What product is Best to Clean Oil System Out? Remove sludge?
What product Is Best to Clean Fuel system?
What Brand and Type Oil is Best on older High Milage Engines?
What Brand Fuel/Grade Is Best for Older Vehicles (1993)?
What is The Best Coolant/Type to Use in Older Vehicles?

I want To make sure The gaps/scarring/worn places are filled in making the Piston and rings keep in good contact, I want to make sure The Valves are in better shape I have a used engine who has probably sat a while has High miles, The original Oil was pretty black and Thick I would love to clean the oil system in fact I left My original Oil filter on it cause I knew it was fairly new and wanted to get the Dirtest and heavest particles in the old Filter and do an Oil change and use better Oil with cleaning or otherwise helpful blends for The engine. I am under the impression The valves use gas to remain cool and they are a weak link in engines that has has had issues with rich and lean fuel mixtures and problems, so I want to make sure The valves are the healthiest possible and Try to make their Longevity last. Oil is The Life force of engines so I want to know what is The absolute best to Use in My Blazer. Of course Gas treatment or other products that help The injector system ( CPI in my Case) and keep the valves clean and cool is a Must for Long Term care. Need to know what Coolant is best and which Flush kit product is best.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.R. Clay
Question: What product is Best to recondition The Cylinder walls? Piston Rings?
What product is Best to recondition The Valves? Valve seals?
What product is Best to Clean Oil System Out? Remove sludge?
What product Is Best to Clean Fuel system?
What Brand and Type Oil is Best on older High Milage Engines?
What Brand Fuel/Grade Is Best for Older Vehicles (1993)?
What is The Best Coolant/Type to Use in Older Vehicles?
You don't want opinions? What are you looking for - scientific proof such as deconstructive analysis? I'm afraid all you can get here are the opinions of the members based on observation and experience. So here are mine:

There is nothing you can pour into your engine to recondition the cylinder walls, piston rings, and valves. Those products advertised to do so are snake oil.
To clean the lubricating system try Auto-Rx. Probably as good as any of them.
To clean the fuel system (short of an expensive professional job) I use Techron Concentrate Plus.
Oil - any name brand high mileage style will work fine in older Blazer engines.
Fuel - any Top Tier gasoline.
If your cooling system came from the factory with DexCool, there's no good reason not to continue with it.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member
J.R. Clay is on a distinguished road

Experience evidenced by Those who have used The products and actually seen the difference they made means so much more than advertisements, and opinions about this brand and that brand, Though all i can is opinions an Opinion with experience is a bit more factual than just a plain o' opinion and Thats my opinion LOL

I'm sure you understand what im asking for there are techs and shade tree mechanics here who have seen engine wear and tear and oil blow by and fuel issues that have added products ith little or no change and then later added a diff product and seen great results and sometimes many times over on diff vehicles.