1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

need a little help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
freeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need a little help...

Ive got a 1991 s-10 blazer, 3.4 l v6......last night I made the classical mistake of running out of gas. Problem is that i put 5 gallons in it last night and it still would not start and i had to have it towed home ( thank you AAA).....Why wont my car start? Does it have something to do with the fuel injectors? any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need a little help...

You may have air locked the pump. I would try to bleed the fuel system. Look for a 't' on the fuel feed line that should have a cap over it. Under this cap will be a shrader valve (like a tire valve). You will probably have to get together quite a few rags to put around the area to soak up the gas. Then use a screw driver to push on the valve (with a rag wrapped around it). Turn the key on, press on the valve until fuel flows out. Then attempt to start it.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:42 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need a little help...

Did you prime the fuel system?
Any time you run out of gas or change the fuel filter you need to prime the fuel system. Its real simple. turn the key to run, wait a couple of seconds, turn key off. Do this like 6-10 times. this will purge all air in the fuel lines, and fuel filter. Should fire right up after that.

If not, more then likely you may have just fried your fuel pump. Don't sweat, it was about to go anyways. You just made it happen sooner rather then later. The fuel pump gets lubricated when pumping the gas. No gas, no lubrication, fried fuel pump.

Simple test to see if you fried your fuel pump. Get in the truck and close the door. Make sure it is absolutely quiet. Turn the key to on. Do you hear the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds. If not, have someone crawl under the truck by the gas tank, and turn the key to run again. Did they hear it run for a couple of seconds?

Post up what you find out.