General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New member... need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Gimpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New member... need a little help.

Hey guys,

I just bought a 99 Blazer as a winter vehicle and have been pretty happy with it so far. I'll be driving it for the next 3 weeks while my other car is in the shop, and today while driving I noticed something a little strange.

The AC in the car works fine, however it doesn't seem like the heat works? Any suggestions on what would prevent hot air from coming out (yes I did adjust the temp ****)? I'm wondering if maybe its a thermostat or some other easy fix that I can look into?

Thanks for any help

Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New member... need a little help.

You might need a new thermostat. That usually seems to solve the no heat issue. Try that first.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll also want to make sure that the coolant is full. A low coolant level may cause air to collect in the heater core, causing reduced heater output. You may also have an obstructed heater core. A good flush (forward and reverse) of the heater core should clear any obstructions.

If your temp gauge on the dash is in the middle, then most often your tstat is still good.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:40 AM

Well this kind of pisses me off because I bought this Blazer from a dealership who supposedly ran the truck through their shop before selling it. The engine coolant reservoir was dry, so I did go ahead and fill that up today. The half fluid gurgling, half air sucking sound from the right side of the firewall went away which is a good thing.

I still have no hot air coming out though, so I'm guessing there's probably air still stuck in the core and hoses? Will this air naturally work its way out over time or will I need a flush to solve the problem?

On a side note I've gone from my car with Tein coilovers to the extremely soft ride of this Blazer, and its a huge change of pace! In the car you feel every little bump and have no body roll or squatting during acceleration. The Blazer is a whole other story though, although it does seem to be a great truck to get me through Pennsylvania winters! Can't wait to see how this thing goes in the snow and on mountain roads to the hunting camp.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Thats why I bought mine, for the winters more or less. I was driving around in a very small FWD car for a few years now and honestly, when the snow hit, I got stuck in the darn house. This year, I'm going to be VERY prepared!!! Besides it gets tiring to stare at the walls in the house! hahaha!!

Old 05-27-2006, 01:53 AM

Anyone have any feedback on this? I'm looking for possible cracked vaccumm hoses and then I guess the next step would be a core flush. Just wondering if anybody has other recommendations.
ORIGINAL: Gimpy

Well this kind of pisses me off because I bought this Blazer from a dealership who supposedly ran the truck through their shop before selling it. The engine coolant reservoir was dry, so I did go ahead and fill that up today. The half fluid gurgling, half air sucking sound from the right side of the firewall went away which is a good thing.

I still have no hot air coming out though, so I'm guessing there's probably air still stuck in the core and hoses? Will this air naturally work its way out over time or will I need a flush to solve the problem?

On a side note I've gone from my car with Tein coilovers to the extremely soft ride of this Blazer, and its a huge change of pace! In the car you feel every little bump and have no body roll or squatting during acceleration. The Blazer is a whole other story though, although it does seem to be a great truck to get me through Pennsylvania winters! Can't wait to see how this thing goes in the snow and on mountain roads to the hunting camp.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:59 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

The core may already be clogged w/ goo block some passages. . With the lack of coolant some corosion may have started. I would get a flush, install a new T stat, and rad cap.

I did those items in February and the heater was much more effective. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 AM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds to me like a good old dexcrap experience. FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH. Is the new coolant you put in a different color from when you put it in? My dexc. issue started out like that now its an ugly mess that gets me irate everytime i flush because it never comes out and keeps getting clogged.