1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Power steering pump pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Starting Member
afojc is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering pump pulley

I removed the nut on the front of the pulley but am still having a difficult time removing the pulley, I have a feeling it is pressed on but do I need a special puller to remove it?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, it is pressed on....heres a pic of a common tool...http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...9094029_lg.jpg but a small 3 jaw puller tool will work just as fine

Old 05-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get the proper tool. A 3-jaw puller will likely just tear up the front of the hub. That thing is on there good.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

You need a power steering pulley puller. A parts store should have a loaner also rent the installer. The bolt and washer that comes with the new pump sucks

Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Starting Member
afojc is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, I'll prolly pick one up tomorrow, let ya know how it all works out

Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member
GoodyearDawg is on a distinguished road

I need to revive this thread because i have a question about the power steering pulley. I have 94 4.3 vortec cpi and i'm trying to remove the power steering pump(i'm replacing the engine) but the damn bolt won't come out. Is that bolt reverse thread? I have tried breaker bars and impact guns but it won't move an inch. I'm afraid if i don't get this bolt out i'll have to buy a new pump and bracket thanks to just one bolt.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Which bolt are you talking about?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Beginning Member

^ The power steering pulley bolt.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

No such thing. That pulley is presssed on and you need the proper tool to get it off. Yeaj I know it looks like a bolt on there but it really isn't. O'Reilly has a loaner program for this tool. I preferred to buy my own. It's got the correct installer with it. Cost me anout $30.00. Don't mind spending money on tools. The loaners have sometimes been pretty abused.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

^That's not a bolt that holds the pulley on? I'm not trying to question your advise but how do I run the pulley back on without a threaded bolt?

Quick Reply: Power steering pump pulley