1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Pros & Cons for 1984 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Starting Member
Dadatone is on a distinguished road
Default Pros & Cons for 1984 Blazer

So, I currently own a '98 2WD Blazer which has been giving me some problems. I was able to narrow done the trouble to either bad/bent valves or bad lifters for the number 6 cylinder.

To date, I has spent too much on this truck and I think I'm going to start looking for a replacement.

I've really come to enjoy the truck (minus the problems) so I thought I'd consider replacing it with another one but maybe this time it would be a 1st generation model.

I looked a 1984 model today and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. No rust. Frame is very solid. It starts up a bit rough but once it's warm the engine smooths right out.

So, without going into too many details about the truck, just take it as a good running truck, what are some of the known problems with the 2.8L I should be aware of in this vehicle. It seems like a very simple truck to work on which is why I need some input from some one with more experience than a guy just seeing eyecandy

Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive owned 3 trucks with the 2.8 and they have been great engines for me. a little under powered compared to the 4.3 but they always got where i needed to be. there was always talk about the crank bearings going out on them but have never seen it in person.

being rust free is a good start, but just cause the paint is all shiny doesnt mean its not a rotted mess underneath so be sure to check out under the truck.

one weird thing i noticed owning one of these engines is no one carries parts for them anymore. anytime i went to autozone or any parts store to get a part, fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, whatever they never had them in stock, always had to order them

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by abig84
ive owned 3 trucks with the 2.8 and they have been great engines for me. a little under powered compared to the 4.3 but they always got where i needed to be. there was always talk about the crank bearings going out on them but have never seen it in person.

being rust free is a good start, but just cause the paint is all shiny doesnt mean its not a rotted mess underneath so be sure to check out under the truck.

one weird thing i noticed owning one of these engines is no one carries parts for them anymore. anytime i went to autozone or any parts store to get a part, fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, whatever they never had them in stock, always had to order them
I have found that first gens have less problems than second gens, consensus LOL

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

i went to autozone or any parts store to get a part, fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, whatever they never had them in stock, always had to order them
Its not just this model that autozone has to order parts from.Autozone has to order parts for many different makes and models to keep there overhead cost down at the stores.They just dont keep alot of parts onhand anymore.Its also the same at many auto parts store chains such as Advance auto and oriley`s

Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have a napa and orielly warehouse within driving distance.. FTW.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
I have found that first gens have less problems than second gens, consensus LOL
ive had that experience also, two of mine that i got rid of was due to rust, bodies splitting in half literally. and the other one i destroyed off road but it was a mess before hand