General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2002 Jimmy Pros-Cons Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM
chevys rule is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 Jimmy Pros-Cons Need help!!!

Hi All

Im here for info about a jimmy Im thinking about Buying,I know this is a Blazer forum but to me there extactly the same.I've been told left and right don't waste your money on one.But thats what people say about J-bodys and look how many there are out there.(own one) neat little cars

Im looking at this 2002 Jimmy SLS 4x4 4.3L,72,000k for $13,000k out the door,Its in Canadian funds.I already put done a deposit for them to hold it untillI can find out insurance etc.

Heres what there going in the local autotrader.ca

2002 Jimmy's on Autotrader.ca

Now shes doing it for $11,500 and then taxes bring it up to the $13k mark,so that one for $10,999 is only $500 shy

Should I get my money back and go looking at something else or see if i can get a 2003

Thanks Kyle[sm=smiley14.gif]

*EDIT by swartlkk* Fixed your image tags and condensed the long link

Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2002 Jimmy Pros-Cons Need help!!!

That's a nice lookin' truck for sure!

$11,500CAD == $10,700USD... Seems a bit high to me, but not outrageous. It would depend on the condition of the vehicle, both interior, exterior and mechanical... You should have the truck inspected by a mechanic to be sure if you are unsure of what to look for in the suspension/drivetrain.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:54 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I paid $18,500 for a 2005, with 49,xxx kilometer's on it... pretty much the base model for me, lol.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

That's a nice lookin' truck for sure!

$11,500CAD == $10,700USD... Seems a bit high to me, but not outrageous. It would depend on the condition of the vehicle, both interior, exterior and mechanical... You should have the truck inspected by a mechanic to be sure if you are unsure of what to look for in the suspension/drivetrain.
It comes cert/safety,I don't trust the Mechanics around here would take it to the dealer-ship but thats damn $90 a hour.They are going to do the brakes as a found they would palse when applying the brakes but thats it.

So can you give any input on the 4x4 system,or the 4.3L. I was told the 4.3 was one of the best engines that Gm made.But then people tell me there junk and they love the gas and the intake gaskets go.They also say the front ends are weak.

They have a 1996 Blazer with 110k for $7k was thinking about getting that and offering her $5500 for it.Both these suvs are clean asa whistle

BTW,Thanks for fixing my post,could'ed figure out the picture thing,keep'ed saying the file is to big

I See your from NY[sm=smiley16.gif],I like to call watertown/syracuse home

Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I went to school up in Potsdam (west of Watertown). I now live in the Finger Lakes.

The 4.3L is a great engine with some problem prone areas. You listed both of them.

The intake manifold gaskets do have a propensity for leaking. If caught early, it won't be a problem. Just keep an eye on the overflow bottle. Any signs of the level dropping over time and you'll need to start looking for a leak. Typically they leak at the front of the engine where the cylinder head, block, and lower intake manifold meet. You should start to notice the sweet smell of antifreeze whenever you open the hood if you have a leaky intake manifold gasket.

The other area is in the fuel injectors/poppet nozzles. The design of the '96 to sometime mid-year '02 fuel injection utilizes an electronic fuel injector feeding a pressure actuated poppet nozzle in the intake port. These poppet nozzles tend to build up with deposits and clog, messing up the spray pattern entirely. This can cause an excessive use of fuel.

As far as the front axle is concerned, I'm betting the opinions you've received have come from diehard solid front axle folks. For major offroading, the IFS system in our trucks probably isn't the best, but for the casual offroader, there are plenty of people doing so quite nicely without incident.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I went to school up in Potsdam (west of Watertown). I now live in the Finger Lakes.

The 4.3L is a great engine with some problem prone areas. You listed both of them.

The intake manifold gaskets do have a propensity for leaking. If caught early, it won't be a problem. Just keep an eye on the overflow bottle. Any signs of the level dropping over time and you'll need to start looking for a leak. Typically they leak at the front of the engine where the cylinder head, block, and lower intake manifold meet. You should start to notice the sweet smell of antifreeze whenever you open the hood if you have a leaky intake manifold gasket.

The other area is in the fuel injectors/poppet nozzles. The design of the '96 to sometime mid-year '02 fuel injection utilizes an electronic fuel injector feeding a pressure actuated poppet nozzle in the intake port. These poppet nozzles tend to build up with deposits and clog, messing up the spray pattern entirely. This can cause an excessive use of fuel.

As far as the front axle is concerned, I'm betting the opinions you've received have come from diehard solid front axle folks. For major offroading, the IFS system in our trucks probably isn't the best, but for the casual offroader, there are plenty of people doing so quite nicely without incident.
Well thanks alot for the info,Glad to see another person from NY and with my Name LOL

Have you heard the problem with the passlock 2 and how the transfer case solinode switch goes really often

I went looking again today and last night and found these

1,4 2005 Blazers with about 30k-60k for $17,999-17,999
2,2000 Jimmy Whistler black comb with 86k Leather and power everything,no sunrooffor $12,999
3,2003 jimmy SLS with 69k for $15,999

All these are before taxes as well

I had a friend that works at Gm run my vin and it came up clean as a dasiy

The women keeps calling me and I just can't give her a answer on the truck,Its 2000 a year for insurancefull coveragefor my age with the two other cars I own 2001 Z24 and 1990 regal.$400 a month to own all these

But the 1996 is $1700 a year

It just sounds very damn good right now,With looking at the 03 with the maybe 3k less in KM and $18,000 with all taxes for the same SLS

I know I can't spell or don't have good grammer but please bare with me

Kyle

Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
vagnozzi is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought theGMC Jimmy stopped in 2001?

I'm confused [X(]