1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rear Glass Won't Pop

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM
asc
asc is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Glass Won't Pop

Newbie here and I read through the other posts but didn't find what I was looking for.

I've got a 94 Full Size 2 door Blazer. My rear window will open on the hatch and my tailgate works as well. My issue is that the glass does not "pop" open when using the switch. Power is not an issue as I know it works due to the fact that if the switch is held open, the glass can be lifted but another person in the back. However, it's pretty difficult to hold the switch in the front and lift the gate at the rear simultaneously.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be the problem and a potential solution? Would love to not have to always use the key in order to get in the back if at all possible.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member
kwbond is on a distinguished road

I was having same issue...noticed the catch was very dirty so I sprayed lube all over latch. Waited an hour repeated then it started working great...

Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Same here

Originally Posted by kwbond
I was having same issue...noticed the catch was very dirty so I sprayed lube all over latch. Waited an hour repeated then it started working great...
I used the two letter two digit fish oil spray on my S 10 with positive results.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:59 AM
asc

Thanks guys. I've definitely lubed it enough and even cleaned the latch but it's still not popping the glass up as I would've hoped. Hopefully I can figure out a fix that works.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:36 AM
Maelstrom is on a distinguished road

Did you ever figure this out asc? I'm having the same issue and cleaning and lubing it did nothing. I'm thinking it's the little spring mechanism on the right that's supposed to push the glass out past the catch when the switch releases it. Can't find that spring or what it's called to get a new one. I might try the dealership. I was thinking of grabbing one at the junkyard but I don't think another 20 year old spring will be any better.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:36 AM
Beginning Member
Matthew Hayes is on a distinguished road
Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 AM
asc

I didn't ever get it to work Maelstrom. We've still been trying to think of what can be done to get it to work. It continues to unlatch but it just will not "pop" or push the glass open. I tried changing the latch completely and that didn't get me anywhere but backwards as the new latch didn't even work. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Maelstrom is on a distinguished road

Same exact issue here. Release works fine. Just no spring to pop the glass past the catch. So logically here are a couple of things I'm thinking of doing. Replace the rubber bumpstops and make sure they are out as far as possible. Replace the weatherstripping in case it pushes the glass out any. I'll probably do this last because weatherstripping is so expensive. And finally, and the hardest, find a new hatch spring popper. I'm not sure if it is supposed to have two. I just have the one on the right side. I took it out (it just twists and pushes in and out) and it's super soft. I looked in the chevy parts guide where they have every part online and it isn't listed or noted. I'm sure it's the same part for a couple million hatches so somebody has to have it. I'm probably just not searching for the right part name. I'm going to go to the junkyard and pull a couple and see if any work any better. Everyone else seems to have a release mechanism failure but yours and mine work fine. But if the glass isn't sprung to push out past the catch, the release can open and close all it wants, but the glass won't actually open unless someone is there to pull it. How do I know this is my real problem, I went out last night and wedged a screwdriver under the glass and tailgate. The glass now had outward pressure to push it back. I went up and hit the dash switch and the glass popped open so I could open it. Just have to figure out a less ghetto way to fix it for real. I'll keep you updated with progress.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Ernie Coates is on a distinguished road
Default 94 join rear window release problems

There is a chrome stud that sets beside the latch bar on the window, when the window is closed that pin will index into an oval shaped steel piece that sets beside the release on the door, I found some hard rubber washers that add up to; about an in. They need to be really tight on the stud so they don't fall off, when the door closes It puts pressure on the oval piece which acts like a spring when you hit the release, works perfectly, don't over do thickness of spacer,

​​