1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Remote keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Beginning Member
cdxhizors is on a distinguished road
Default Remote keyless entry

Hi, I have a 93 gmc Jimmy which is the sle model so it has power everything and I recently found that it has the rpo code for remote keyless entry. Well, i found online that if you jumper pins g and a on the obd connector the locks should lock and unlock to confirm program mode. Well, mine don't. Anybody have any ideas of where to start? The glove box has the rpo code and a gm dealer confirmed by vin that it came with keyless entry.. I can get a remote online cheap but I'd like to make sure that it will actually work. All I've tried is jumping pin g to a. Any ideas?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member

Well I was hoping I'd at least get 1 or 2 responses by now..I went ahead and ripped my center console out and found that it does in fact have a rke module in the middle. But I'm not sure it works. It won't go into program mode. I opened it up and it looks clean inside with no corrosion but who knows.. I may toy with an aftermarket one unless someone has any ideas?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Beginning Member

Ok so still no responses...for anyone who finds this and is interested in figuring it out.. I found a module out of a 4 door blazer in a junk yard and put it in. It works perfectly. Cross pins A and G on the obd connector with a paper clip and the doors lock and unlock and the hatch opens and is ready to program. Simple enough. Not sure what was wrong with the old module.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, just saw your post. The RKE module on my Bravada was shorted out when I bought the truck - someone had spilled at least a litre of brown soda (not sure Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer...) from the cupholder and it shorted out the module. With the power lock/power window circuitmbreaker in place, my locks auto-locked. I had to grab a module from a junkyard (I think mine came from a '94 Blazer) to make mine work flawlessly. Still does, actually.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
Sorry, just saw your post. The RKE module on my Bravada was shorted out when I bought the truck - someone had spilled at least a litre of brown soda (not sure Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer...) from the cupholder and it shorted out the module. With the power lock/power window circuitmbreaker in place, my locks auto-locked. I had to grab a module from a junkyard (I think mine came from a '94 Blazer) to make mine work flawlessly. Still does, actually.
I bought one from a 92 Blazer 4 door(mine is a 93 Jimmy 2 door) and it works awesome. Had to buy a fob but I found a used one on Amazon for 4 dollars shipped and I programmed it easily and now it functions perfectly.