1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rewire the A/C system...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rewire the A/C system...possible?

I have a problem where if the truck was revved to fast while driving, it would simply blow the fuse. Driving it like a princess and it was completely fine. When the truck was under my mom/brothers ownership, they had it taken to a shop and the guy charged them $180 to simply unplug some connection at the condenser under the hood. Boise summers are 30* hotter than Seattle, so no A/C wasn't an option. It blows nice and cold when it's working, but it would blow if I went too fast off a light, if I was going uphill and the truck had to downshift due to the steepness of the hill, etc.

I got frustrated w/ the constant blown fuses and just shoved a piece of speakerwire in instead...I know, I know. Well for a while I could hear what sounded like a relay click, but now that click is no longer there. I'm guessing I toasted some relay, but I haven't been able to find anything specific via the Haynes manual. Obviously I must have a short or some resistance somewhere since sometimes it works ok, sometimes it blows the fuse immediately, but tracing it in a truck this old is probably impossible along w/ being cost prohibitive based on what it's worth to me.

I would think that from the heater settings on the dash, to the compressor and condenser, a relay in between and power that there is only a few wires running this whole setup. Is it entirely impossible to consider just rewiring it myself?

Last edited by m5james; 10-14-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Bump before I end up on the 3rd and bottom of the "New Posts" page

Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... Have patience man. It has barely been 3 hours since you posted this. Do not worry about where you are on the new posts page. That has no consequence at all.

Now, about your problem, if you are thinking you need to rewire the system, then you should get yourself a good reference book that has the appropriate wiring diagrams. The best you can buy are the FSMs (factory service manuals). They pop up on eBay for fairly cheap every now and again. Here are a few links:
1990 Chevrolet S10 S-10 Truck Blazer Service Manual E
90 1990 GMC CHEVY S10 BLAZER SERIES ELECTRICAL MANUAL
1990 S10 S15 SONOMA S/T TRUCK REPAIR SERVICE MANUAL
1990 CHEVROLET S10 & BLAZER SHOP MANUAL ORIG GM BOOK!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 PM

No time, no time So the Haynes manual definately won't have what I need then. Other than the fuse under the kickpanel, do you know which relays under the hood I could check also?

Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Bump for assistance on finding the relays of and/or maybe even emailing me scans of the pages I'd need to rewire it? This cold weather is the perfect time for me to do this in the garage before the summer hits here again.

Thanks all.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 AM

Bumpity bump

Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bump for what? Get yourself a proper manual and get to it. Pulling schematics for your year is a royal pain for me to do because of how many different places you have to look to get the whole picture. I'll see what I can do, but I cannot do this at work. I have to pour through the hard copies I have to find them and I will not have time to do this until the tail end of the week.

It is easiest and most beneficial for you to just get the FSM and then you'll have it for anything after this.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM

Did I just **** you off at some point man?

I appreciate the links to the books, but I don't wanna spend over $100 on some books that I'll use once then never use again. It'd be a royal pain for you to pull the stuff, but I know you'll know what you're looking at more than I am. I've got easily 5 months of time before it starts hitting 100*+ here again, so it's not like I'm in a rush. If you could find, scan and email me the stuff, that would be awesome...if not, thanks for the links.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

$20 for the electrical book and $35 for the FSM and you would have all of the information, including trouble shooting steps, for the rest of the time you own the truck. Just saying... It is a VERY good investment even if you were paying full price.