1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Search is just pissing me off...a few questions, please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to find exact parts numbers for spark plugs, an 02 sensor and an A/C issue.

Recently I failed emissions due to high HC at idle, but the guy suggested the second time around that I give it a little gas so it didn't idle so low (around 550 rpms) and it passed once it was in the 750 rpms range. I've replaced the plugs about 3yrs ago, but to be honest, I don't remember the brand and if I did the #3 plug or not due to it being in such a bitch of spot. From reading my own sig, these plugs have only 30k on them, but from reading around here, they may need replacement anyways. Once I remove them, i'll update this post. I bought some Autolite APP25 plugs at WalMart which came in two plug packs for like $7.50 w/ a $3 rebate, so it'd be around $13 after it was all said and done for plugs...cheap insurance. After doing some random reading around trying to find spark plug gaps (mixed messages between .35 and .45), I've also read that everyone insists that I get A/C Delco. I can't seem to find them locally anywhere...Autozone and Schucks only has the CR43/5TS (don't I need double platinum's, or are these double?), and screw the stealerships.

I also purchased a Bosch 02 sensor from Schucks, but it's also unanimous that Bosch is garbage also. I was able to get it for $20, which I think is a great price compared to the ones on my BMW ($80 each, requires two). I noticed that per Autozone/Schucks that the Bosch sensor wants to be replaced every 30k...are you kidding me? I thought 02's were like 100k items. As far as I know, I could still be on the stock 02 sensor, so at this point, anything would probably help. Schucks/Autozone don't list AC Delco sensor, and Rockauto's prices aren't that great for either sparkplugs or 02's, after shipping, etc.

The truck - it's a 90 S-10 Blazer 2dr, 4wd, 4.3l w/ 265k. The truck runs fine, gets 18mpg (16 towing my trailer..yes, I tow a 6x10 trailer ) so I'm reluctant to replace anything I don't need to spend money on as is seeing that this thing has such high mileage and I got it for $300 from my family. I'm all for preventative maintenance on my car, but putting gas in this truck now is beyond what the truck is worth, so i'd just like to keep it running. I'm NOT saying I'm neglecting it at all because I keep it immaculate, but I'm also not willing to dump more than what is NEEDED. It drives fine, so IMHO spark plugs and 02 sensor isn't needed, but if it's cheap enough, I'll do it. At most I just want it to keep running and definitely get the A/C working again.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, and I hope to get some great replies.

EDIT - Just realized I put info into my own sig :P

Found this https://blazerforum.com/forum/showpo...50&postcount=6 true? I found the plugs http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...rchText=CR45TS for $2.09 a piece, so that's cheaper than these Autolites that I need to return to WalMart.

Last edited by m5james; 10-14-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The AC/Delco Double Platinums may work in your truck, but the CR43TS are the ones AC/Delco still recommends for your year engine. You may regret the Bosch O2 sensors since they have caused many problems for members in their trucks. The AC/Delco ones should be good for 70-100k miles.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Per the single thread I posted above, should I get the 43 or 45 then, based on my driving? I do freeway driving, but towing a trailer around the city is probably makes up for the freeway driving I do.

I still haven't been able to find a part # for the A/C Delco 02 sensor, and at this point i'm still not sure if I even need it.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go straight to the source - ACDelco.com

SPARK PLUG,
Part Number: CR43TS
Product Notes:
[Standard Plug-Spark Plug]; .035 Gap
Per Vehicle: 6; Years: 1988-1990

SENSOR ASM,EXH OXY
Part Number: AFS21
Product Notes:
[Heated Oxygen Sensor (Position 1)]; In exh manifold/crossover ; Type #21 ; Except Leaded fuel emis (NM8)
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1988-1991

SENSOR ASM,EXH OXY
Part Number: AFS22
Product Notes:
[Heated Oxygen Sensor (Position 1)]; In exh manifold/crossover ; Type #21 ; Except Leaded fuel emis (NM8)
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1988-1990

Either the AFS21 or AFS22 for the O2 sensor. I am sure that either will work for the application.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM

I've been on AC Delco's site a handful of times today, but now i'm trying to decide if I need the 43 or 45 plug.

As for the 02, http://www.acdelco.com/searchsite/?q=afs21 and http://www.acdelco.com/searchsite/?q=afs22. From the descriptions you've posted, it keeps saying heated. Mine is a single wire, not a 3 wire. Can 1 wire 02's be heated?

EDIT - While it wasn't available in the dropdown menus, I was able to find this after narrowing it down to my vehicle and searching for the keywork "oxygen" http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/b2c/catalog_search.php. I still don't understand why there are two choices...there must be a reason.

EDIT 2 - Did a search on Google for "afs21 vs afs22" and came up w/ this http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums.../t-123782.html just to add more confusion as to which one to chose now.

Last edited by m5james; 10-14-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Click on PARTS CATALOG and select your vehicle.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM

The site automerged my post...see above.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're referring to your first two posts in the thread, no, the site did not automerge them, I merged them as shown at the bottom of the post. They were consecutive posts. If you need to add to a post that nobody has replied to yet, please use the 'edit' button in the bottom right corner rather than make another post.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks. I'm going to get the 45's from the suggestions made on another thread about driving style, unless someone suggests otherwise. I'm still searching around to find the 02 sensor locally. I guess we'll see if the local Autozone/Schucks stores recommend the 20, 21 or 22...or if they even stock them since they're respective sites say they only have the plugs.

Last edited by m5james; 10-14-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM
BF Guru

Couldn't hurt, just be sure to remove it from the original post.