1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1985 gmc Jimmy s15 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Advantage049 is on a distinguished road
Question 1985 gmc Jimmy s15 4x4 problems

I'm just curious I just bought this and I got it working and the problem I have is that the 4x4 isn't working the front diff isn't engaging no grinding sounds no nothing now if I put it 4 wheel low it does work. Kinda it's 2 wheel low lol. I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what too look for. It is a floor shifter I don't think it's has any electronic to the transfer case though I could be wrong. Now it does have the 4 wheel drive diagram next to the shifter that lights up on which drive your in like 2 wheel 4 wheel and neutral and 4 wheel low. Now the light to the neutral is always on I didn't know I'f any of that matters. If you could help me that would be wonderful.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Do you have a manual of any sort?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM

No I literally just bought it lol

Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 AM

You need a book bad. Could be the T-case is out of rig for starters. The first thing I would do is get under the truck and check the vacuum switch. It doesn't sound like your front drive actuator is working. Here's a brief rundown on how it's supposed to function. When you shift fron 2wd to 4wd HI it opens a vacuum switch that ports vacuum from the engine to the 4wd actuator through the switch. The actuator pulls a cable that engages the front drive. The switch is on the left upper side of the t-case and has 3 vacuum lines going to it. 1 is the vacuum to the switch, another is the vacuum that's ported to the front drive actuator and the 3rd is a vent line. Check this stuff out and get back to me. You don't live that far away. Got some pointers for you when you get it inspected too.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

Check the link in my sig. Tells you everything you need to know about the front axle engagement, better then a book for this topic.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Thanks gimpy, and soul that helps alot. Now gimpy if you say I'm not that far away from you. Then you know about that freezing past few days huh. Haven't really had a chance to get under it with the ground frozen and the wind blown ya know I don't have a garage. So. That much harder

Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM

Don'y blame ypu. It's been a bi... I will say my little 94 Blazer did just fine in it.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM

Well hey the yesterday I got it working the vacuum hoses where all messed up. Lol but fixed it. It works now. Now all I have to do is get some mk2's which I can get all four for 591. not bad I think lol. And that's quoted at four wheels parts coppell. So that's what I'm saving for lol. Oh and I figured out that I need to change my cv joints and I'm not sure but I also think my front diff is locked cause it binds when I turn on concrete. Could be wrong though. If it is though. Then u need a limited slip on the rear diff cause it's a one wheel wonder lol. Ha. Anyways thanks for the help! Email me some time. Advantage2049@yahoo.com

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

Definately locked. Should about stop you if you turn tight on concrete in 4x4.

Also, how does it sould when turning on the concrete? Is it jumpy or just a smooth slowing?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM

You know I don't know. Lol never gave it the chance lol. Because I have to change my left cv joint it clicks. So I don't turn it that sharp or that long I just felt it. But when I did. It started to bind. So it could have started to jump or slowed didn't get that far. But I did notice another thing. I was climbing a hill in 4 wheel low testing it. Lol but my buddy that was following me said that my back wheels where spinning. And switching back and forth like right spin then left spin. But he said that my front wasn't spinning which is why it took me so long to get up the hill lol. And I was nailing it. Which probably isn't good for an 85 carb motor and or tranny and or transfer case but I wonder why my front wasn't pulling when I know it was 10 min prior to that hill climb????? Oh. Before I forget I also heard a loud slam or clank sound coming from the front when I had it in 4 wheel low and rolling down the hill. You think that could be possible on why my 4 wheel wasn't helping me up the hill???????¿

Quick Reply: 1985 gmc Jimmy s15 4x4 problems