1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1992 jimmy fuel inlet restrictor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member
rocknroadie is on a distinguished road
Default 1992 jimmy fuel inlet restrictor

Or in other words, PA sent me on another wild goose chase!

Where the heck do I find one of these, or fake it to pass? As far as I can tell, they're talking about the little flap behind the gas cap, seeing as that's the only thing that's missing.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

See if you can go to a junkyard and get one from there. Is that what they said was the reason it failed, missing that flap. I didnt know you could fail from missing that.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Beginning Member

Yup. When they told me that was why it failed emissions, I pulled out my measuring tape and measured it to make sure it was the right size for unleaded. They wouldn't budge.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:49 AM
Beginning Member

Good news! PA code does not specify what constitutes a "fuel inlet restrictor", so I went and checked federal code and guess what I found?

Originally Posted by 40 CFR 80.24
The manufacturer of any motor vehicle equipped with an emission control device which the Administrator has determined will be significantly impaired by the use of gasoline other than unleaded gasoline shall manufacture such vehicle with each gasoline tank filler inlet having a restriction which prevents the insertion of a nozzle with a spout having a terminal end with an outside diameter of 0.930 inch (2.363 centimeters) or more and allows the insertion of a nozzle with a spout meeting the specifications of §80.22(f)(2).
That flap is entirely optional (and not even mentioned in the law at all,) the only legal requirement is the diameter of the hole. Now to print this off and wave it in the inspector's face when I go back for my retest.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

let us know how it goes, good luck

Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Don't know about PA but in TX that's the first thing they look at and most of the failures are from the gas cap. That's what the guy that inspected mine told me.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, but this isn't the gas cap. My gas cap is brand new and seals nicely.

This is the little idiot flap underneath to keep grandma and grandpa from putting diesel in their gasoline engine car.

Anyway, resolution: The original shop wouldn't pass it even after I showed them what a "fuel inlet restrictor" actually is according to the law so I took it to a shop a few miles further down the road and got my sticker without any trouble. I'm gonna report the first shop to the state, because besides the idiot flap BS, they also couldn't tell the difference between the PCV air inlet and the evap control line coming off the fuel tank - they wanted me to hook them together.

I really need to move to a state with no-BS inspections. Brakes and lights are all they should really be looking at.

Last edited by rocknroadie; 08-31-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Good luck on finding a state that has no inspections nowdays. Let us all know when you do. Here in TX it depends on where you live (county) as to the extent of the inspections.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Beginning Member

Well Florida's the obvious one, but the people there are certifiably insane, so I suppose it'd have to be North Dakota instead.

Name:  KrFdX.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  16.1 KB

...or not.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Some parts of Ohio still have this emissions testing money pit but over the years it has slowly started phasing out (state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional and set a deadline of 2014 for it to be gone completely) luckily where I live never had it.

Quick Reply: 1992 jimmy fuel inlet restrictor