1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1992 s10blazer tahoe 4x4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 AM
chpspd is on a distinguished road

I have a 1992 s10blazer tahoe that the 4x4 doesnt work

I have replaced the vacum accuator under the battery checked vacum getting to it.

The transfer case is engaging when I hit the dash switch
But I still dont have the front axle engaging.

Checked the Tccm fuse its not blown.

I am thinking it might be the cable it moves but not sure how much its supposed to move.

Disconntected the switch on the front diff right near where the cable enter the diff that didnt change anything just wondering what else it could be.

I can hear the actuator working when I hook up the vacum line.
Also the abs light is on not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Also its an automatic 700r4
How hard is it to change the cable (how do you take it out and hook it back up in the diff

just tried disconnecting the tccm fuse and cycling the ignition 5 times and still the front axle isnt engaging

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-17-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are getting proper engine vacuum to the actuator, but the front axle is not engaging, you may have a frozen cable or a problem inside the front axle. The cable needs to be pulled 0.5" to 0.75" for the front axle to properly engage. If it doesn't move this much, the cable may be to blame.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM

how do you go about changing the cable is it accessable through the 3 bolt cover on the side of the diff?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Remove the three bolts and you will see how it attaches to the shift fork inside the front axle.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 PM

I asked my friend how hard it was to pull the cable and he said he needed pliers to move it so I ordered a new cable for $32 canadian since I live in windsor.
This forum was a GREAT help.
Will let you know monday if it works!
Thanks for the fast answers!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Another question
what does that switch? do that is attached to the mount where the 4x4 cable goes into the diff?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

What do you mean by "what does that switch?"...? The cable pulls on a shift collar which engages the collar onto both the stub shaft out of the differential and to the passenger side extension axle that runs to the passenger side CV and out to the wheel.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 PM

there is a electrical connection that run to some sort of sensor right near the cable mount on the diff

Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Oh ok. That is just the switch that tells the TCCM that the front axle is engaged. The extra question mark was a bit confusing...

Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM

what happens if that switch isnt working?
and how can I check if its working?

Quick Reply: 1992 s10blazer tahoe 4x4 issues