1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1992 Two Door 4x4, serious issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Beginning Member
Rusto92 is on a distinguished road

It is, the leak is only like 6 to 8 inches upstream.

So that looks like my big option here. Finding a way to plug it up entirely.

My issue is, that I'm not sure of a way that's relatively cheap, and isn't just glue on the wound. I'm not sure of price on the straight up weld, because it seems like it would need a new pipe there, and it's directly, literally, directly after the collector. Practically on the collector. I'll talk to my guy tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NewbieT
Is your exhaust leak before your o2? If so then it would be showing a constant lean condition which the computer would try to make up with by raising the long term ft into a rich command, but once it's out of fuel control it would show a code for o2 constant lean condition. After that it's just going to be in limp in mode. So if it is before the oxygen sensor then you need to get it fully plugged up.
Yeah that's what I said.. I think lol. I didn't say before the sensor though, good point! He put it in much more technical terms & more information with effects as well. I'm not that knowledgeable .
& the FT Newbie is talking about is the Fuel Trim.... nothing we can manage unless you're gifted/smart & plugged into the computer as it runs. As in when I get mine dyno tuned, he has his laptop plugged into my OBDII port & is reading & changing the PCM.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 PM
BF Veteran

There is a muffler/exhaust bandage in stores. It IS a bandage in all means. There's a length of aluminum or tin & some sealant, scuff/clean the area, apply the sealant around it, wrap the area with the tin & strap it at both ends with the supplied hose clamps. Drive for a while etc to cure the sealant & it's sealed - for a few months. Also there are fabric bandages.

In the meantime go to a wrecker with a cordless sawzall etc & look for a blazer that has the collector you need. Cut the bolts (try a socket but GL) & as far as you can along the pipe & take that to a shop to have it expanded at the non collector end to fit over your existing exhaust pipe. IF that existing pipe is in decent enough condition to be welded, they or you could just clamp it using an exhaust clamp.

Last edited by Rottidog; 09-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Beginning Member

I have that saturday shipped on amazon, I can't find anything in the local stores, trust me, I've tried, lol.

I'll let you guys know about that by Monday, thanks so much for the input!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran

Hopefully all the talk & babble has & will help correct things for ya.

GL!
Just thinking outloud often helps... as if your listening to a friend talk about things/issues. A 3rd party point of view.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member

Well... I'm still pulling a code 44. The exhaust is all plugged up, as well. I'm going to go hit the local bob karls to see if I can't find a new to me set of collector/y pipes anyway, to keep from a leak reoccurring, but I don't know where to look next. I reset my ecmb, then I pulled my neg battery wire to reset everything, just in case the computer was doing something weird with my fuel.

Now, the only thing I can think of would be if my injectors needed cleaned, or something's up with my fuel lines, I'm lost again, lol. No code 13 anymore, still, just the 44.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

I'm going to open a new thread that's current problem specific!