General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
travisrussell88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?

Hi guys. Currently I have a 1998 4.3L auto trans 4 door blazer ls, and tomorrow (july 5th) I'm looking at a 1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door blazer for sale for a mere $600. I like the older body style better and I love old cars/trucks, I also find working on older cars is easier, and I can easily modify the older one. If I buy it, it will be my new daily driver and the '98 will be sold. The '92 is dropped 2" up front and 4" out back, has a catback exhaust, rallye wheels, and looks pretty good inside and out. My current blazer is the '98 and has no modifications except the speakers and a cd changer. If I buy the '92 and sell the '98 I can put money into the '92 if it needs it or move out of my parents house if it doesn't. I'd also be happier with a first gen 2 door. So what do you guys think? Buy the '92 or keep the '98?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Miles? Condition? Fitness? Condition?

Don't buy from pictures.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Lol... you could part out your 98 on here.... or just send it to me

Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on what you want from the vehicle. I know either way it will be your daily driver, but what as far as customization are you going to do? Cause there is far more for the 2nd gen than the first. Some things are easier on the 2nd gen. As in speedo calibration. On a 2nd gen, you tap into the OBD port with a scanner/programmer and boom your in. On a 1st gen you have to locate the DRAC/VSSB module and remove the solid jumpers and solder in a dip switch and do a math equation to determine which switch is open and shut to get the right combo for your tire size.

On the other side, I feel the 1st gen is far easier to work on and do the few customization that are availible for it. Plus if it's a Throttle Body 4.3 with the 5 speed it will be VERY reliable and pretty quick to be honest. Salvage yards are overrun with them in my state and they are rarely missing anything cause most people just run the older blazers into the ground and never fix them up. So minus the tranny or engine, they are normally in great shape. Minus the normal rot pieces like the rocker panels and such.

Really it's up to you though. Personally I'd rather have the 2wd 1st gen then a 2wd 2nd gen. But I'ma diehard box style blazer guy. Not to say I wouldn't LOVE a 2nd gen 2wd to lower and make a daily driver out of, but I'd take the 1st gen if availible.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

All depends on the condition, but I will agree I love the way first gen 2 doors look

Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

The first gen looks good, its in primer, but that works out cause i can paint it, i want to customize it performance wise and do a v8 in a year or so, i love the way the first gen 2 doors look, interior looks good in the pics, as does the whole truck, my '98 has 167k on it, from what i find online the first gen has alot more parts available and such, plus its already lowered. I'm looking at it today, and if i buy it it'll be on thursday.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

will if it has that stuff sdone to the 92 and selling that cheap of price there could be stuff wrong with it. or you could buy the 92 and keep your 98 and use both.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Well with that kind of mileage on the 98 I can understand getting rid of it, but what's the mileage on the 2nd gen?

Also, bring a magnet wrapped in a cloth. If you ask if there's bondo on the body and he says "Gee... I don't know!", then pull said magnet out and start checking around... if the hold feels weaker, probably some bondo lol.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Well, its got 217k miles on it, a few dings, all minor, all glass is good, interior looks great, wheels look great, tires are 3 years old and still have 7/32nds left, engine looks good and sounds great, shifts beautifully, has a few minor quarks just like my '98, but honestly I like the '92 alot more than my '98, the '92 needs a stereo though, which is fine.

oh, it actually sounded better than my '98. and the guy is willing to bring it to my city to make the deal on thursday.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-06-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just don't rush into it and end up regretting it in a few monthes if something goes bad. Check the tranny fluid and notice the color of it. That's something some people over look. Check the rear diff fluid also. The check plug is on the passengers side towards the front of the center diff and takes either a square or star (torxs?) bolt of a decent size to remove. If you can feel fluid with your finger, it's full.

I hear ya on the V8 swap. If that's what your wanting to do, then yeah there are a literal sh** ton of parts on the web for that swap. JTR.com is a highly reccomended site for that swap. Good luck on it. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: 1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?