1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1993 s10 blazer winch repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member
carlosblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 s10 blazer winch repair

Hi, i want to post the fixing of my 93 s10 blazer winch repair, in case someone needs it.

First i take it off, the relay box dont work and there were some cables cutted in it, the steel cable in the winch was stucked, the engage/free switch was stucked too. So i start dissasembling the winch. all was rusty and some parts stucked too, with old grease. Looks like nobody use the winch it in a lot of time.

Then i start cleaning the parts and all the serial numbers, stickers and the original colour of the winch appears, so i knew i was in the right way,

It was a lot of work to free the engage switch and all the gears in it, but with a lot of patience and i think love hahahahaha they all came out.

The crucial time was when i tested the motor, i was worried that the motor was worn or dead,, but it works inmediatly

Then finally i start assembling it and rolling the steel cable the right way and finished the work. Now my 93 S10 Blazer has a WARN M8000 Winch again!!! Happy for it, sorry for the few pictures but i have my hands like crap, i dont want to ruin my camera with grease and gasoline.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Nice! Hope it keeps working good for you!

Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Good job. That thing was really a mess. Be careful hooking the cable onto the spreader bar like that, though. I've seen people tear those right out when they hit the remote button in the wrong direction.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks! was a little hard but it worth it

Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

It's always nice when you can fix something instead of buying a new one.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Thanks! was a little hard but it worth it

Old 01-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Originally Posted by Tom A
Good job. That thing was really a mess. Be careful hooking the cable onto the spreader bar like that, though. I've seen people tear those right out when they hit the remote button in the wrong direction.
Yes. well the hook is right there till i mount the whinch and it´s enough loose so i can release it from the bar. then i have to retire the hook to pass it through the winch hawse.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Looks like identical tare down to a Smittybuilt XRC8, had to rebuild mine when I acquired it second hand. Worked fine for the most parts, I just wanted to tare it apart and glean out all the old grease and regrease it like you did.

I took it a little to the extreme though and ended up doing basically a full-on restoration of the thing lol

Old 01-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Looks like identical tare down to a Smittybuilt XRC8, had to rebuild mine when I acquired it second hand. Worked fine for the most parts, I just wanted to tare it apart and glean out all the old grease and regrease it like you did.

I took it a little to the extreme though and ended up doing basically a full-on restoration of the thing lol

Wow, but you buy all the new parts, cable, etc. Here in chile we have to buy the replacement parts in USA and bring then here. it costs price and a half of the price in USA, and we have to wait 30 days. hahahahaha, if we buy them in local stores (if they have stock) it costs more than double of the price. guys you´re lucky.

Congratulations for the winch!!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carlosblazer
Wow, but you buy all the new parts, cable, etc. Here in chile we have to buy the replacement parts in USA and bring then here. it costs price and a half of the price in USA, and we have to wait 30 days. hahahahaha, if we buy them in local stores (if they have stock) it costs more than double of the price. guys you´re lucky.

Congratulations for the winch!!
Only thing I bought was paint (and a new set of decals...)