1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1994 Blazer and GMC Typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 AM
mookie_fiasco is on a distinguished road
Default 1994 Blazer and GMC Typhoon

Hey guys i am new to the chevy game and wanted ta get schooled...i recently purchased a 1994 s10 blazer and looking up all sorts of stuff and then stummbled across the typhoon and syclone. i was curious as to if the syclone and typhoon's chasis and most of the components on either of the 2 will work with the regular blazer. i am heavily thinking about turboing or supercharging my blazer and i needed ta know how to go about the ecu management for boosting and what the stock motor of the blazer can handle. also what is a good tranny for the blazer and is collum shift way different from having the shifter on the floor. i noticed the typhoon has the automatic shift on the floor vs the regular blazers collum shift. please provide me with tons of knowledge...im like a sponge and very eager to learn chevy =) thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I would imagine alot of the components are the same in the two trucks. We have a whole section on SyTy trucks here if you look in the main forum selection screen. A friend of mine owned a Typhoon blazer years ago back in edmonton, it was a wild truck. Have fun with your conversion!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

physically, there is no difference between the trucks.

it's just the obvious stuff...........turbo system and all the related goodies (ECM, fuel system, beefier guts in the trans, central diff instead of the normal t-case).

if you're thinking of building a clone of a Typhoon, it'll be cheaper (and definately easier) to just do a LT/LS swap. getting into the nitty-gritty of turbo/super charging an engine can knock alot of people down, if you're not too mechanically inclined.

by the way, is your '94 a "Z" or "W" code truck? if not knowing what those cade are threw ya, that's what the engine codes are for these trucks.

the "Z" code is the TBI, 140HP version. while the "W" code is the CPI (Central Port Injected), 190HP version. looks like a Tune Port in the early Vette's & Camaro's.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 AM

so the LS swap is a bit cheaper huh...well im pretty inclined if you will when it come to turbocharging cars i have a 97 16vaba golf turbo now as a daily driver 319whp so that isnt an issue. i love a challenge =)

this truck seems so simple ta work on and i have fallen in love with it. the motor is the w coded motor so the better of the two you threw out there i would guess.

my boy was telling me the ws6 rear end from the later pontiac will fit the truck and has disk brakes i this true? if so a lot of gm components work on different vehicles im guessing.

i really want ta know what trans is really solid for this truck. i want ta both be able to tow a decent load (without breaking anything) and race around from time to time. does having the column shifter really change what option you have to trans or will everything be good ta go?

thanks

o snap what type of engine management do you go with and i really want a newer gauge cluster like the one from the typhoon =)

Last edited by rriddle3; 03-08-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM

still wondering if someone can answer my questions

Old 03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just get an axle from under an 98 or newer truck if you want disc brakes. You would have to modify the axle from the later camaro/firebird since they do not use leaf springs.

If your truck is an automatic, you have the 4L60E. The 4L60E can be built to handle a ton of power and anything else would require some fab work to do.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Just get an axle from under an 98 or newer truck if you want disc brakes. You would have to modify the axle from the later camaro/firebird since they do not use leaf springs.

they're also a different width, which i found out when i went to use one to replace my fatory diff-for the 5th time!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Starting Member
Drifter666 is an unknown quantity at this point

well because I was very interested in doing what your talking about when I got my 94 and if i remember everything i read the motor was the Z code which is actually the better motor in a lot of different opinions. The internal components are 99% from the small block 350 and I think the pistons and rods are forged. The transmission is a 700R4 from a full size truck which is a modern version 4l60e, I've been told there is a place in TX that will rebuild the 4L60E to handle 500hp for $1000.

Both the typhoon and syclone are all wheel drive. The turbo is a Mitsubishi turbo and a Garrett intercooler. I know the throttle body is from a small block 350. As far as the computer goes i have no clue if you can just get it remapped or if you need to track down a computer from a sy/ty. But yours being a CPI motor I think the 1st step is to try to change it to a TB injection.

They are right about the V8 swap being cheaper although i wouldn't recommend an LT swap "LT1-6" unless you have deep pockets but with a V8 you will get tons more power than with a turbo v6. Good luck anyway you go though,

Drifter

Last edited by Drifter666; 03-25-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
they're also a different width, which i found out when i went to use one to replace my fatory diff-for the 5th time!
That's better than all of the modification that goes into an f-body axle swap. Besides, you can also swap the brakes over. I remember reading how-to's quite a while ago for that.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Drifter666
well because I was very interested in doing what your talking about when I got my 94 and if i remember everything i read the motor was 1the Z code which is actually the better motor in a lot of different opinions. The internal components are 99% from the small block 350 2and I think the pistons and rods are forged. 3The transmission is a 700R4 from a full size truck which is a modern version 4l60e, 4I've been told there is a place in TX that will rebuild the 4L60E to handle 500hp for $1000.

Both the typhoon and syclone are all wheel drive. The turbo is a Mitsubishi turbo and a Garrett intercooler. I know the throttle body is from a small block 350. 5As far as the computer goes i have no clue if you can just get it remapped or if you need to track down a computer from a sy/ty. But yours being a CPI motor I think the 1st step is to try to change it to a TB injection.

They are right about the V8 swap being cheaper although 6i wouldn't recommend an LT swap "LT1-6" unless you have deep pockets 7but with a V8 you will get tons more power than with a turbo v6. Good luck anyway you go though,

Drifter
1) that may be a matter of opinion. people that have a Z code want the W code because of the extra power. while those that have a W code know they have more power to play with, thus thinking they have the better engine. not really sure how you came to the conclusion that the Z code is a "better" engine, since it's really just the top end of the engine that's different. yes i know the block was modified in late ;92 for that balance shaft, but the rest of the block assembly is the same.

2) not in any of the 4.3's i've broken & ripped apart.

3) actually, the 700R4/4L60 was used up to '92. in '93 & '94 it was the 4L60E. and the 700R4 is the predecessor to the 4L60(E).

4) that's pretty high for just 500hp (IMO). i had a 4L60 rebuilt for a 820hp SB, and it cost me less than that.

5) the software for any set-up would be had by whichever shop you sent your ECM to, so no need to track down a sy/ty ECM, just send it out to get re-flashed.

6) how would a LS swap be more money than a 5.3/5.7 swap? other than the initial cost for the engine, you're gonna run into the same fab situations.

7) a good friend of mine did a 3.8 GN swap into his '88 Jimmy (many, many years ago), and he had more than enough power to get the truck sideways while rolling down the street going 40 or 50mph. now to really have more than enough power @ hand, why not just combine the two and have a turbo LS set-up? this would definately be uber cool.

and Drifter, i wasn't attacking you personally, i was just addressing your post.

@ Kyle: what exactly did you mean by, "That's better than all of the modification that goes into an f-body axle swap."?

Quick Reply: 1994 Blazer and GMC Typhoon