1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4.3L Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member
HomeGrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.3L Timing Chain Replacement

ok.. Well i might be getting a 91' 2door 2wd blazer in a trade for my 1986 dodge ramcharger.. and i've been told that the timing chain is either broke or something or another.. im wondering how hard it is to replace it? what am i going have to take off to get to the timing chain?.. also he said something about the injectors need to be cleaned.. which i've never took a injector off/out so im not sure what to look for.. should i just buy new injectors or can i clean the old ones with some minor work?

i am a big fan of these square body blazers.. as i have another thats waiting for a 350 swap heres a few snap shots of her as well..

Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*moving to 1st gen tech*

To replace the timing chain... Well, that depends on what it has for a motor. For the 2.8L and the 4.3L, I believe you'll have to remove almost all of the accessories, the water pump, the balancer, and then loosen the oil pan to be able to remove the timing cover. Not sure if it is a 4-cylinder...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member

well in the title is says 4.3L.. but ya.. so ona a scale of 1-5 and 5 being the hardest what would u rate it?.. i have pretty good mechanic skills..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, I guess I scrolled down too fast to look at the pictures. For me, I'd say a 2, but...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

thats cool.. it should be to hard then.. what about them injectors?.. cheaper to change or to clean?.. and how would i clean them?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator

I would try running some cleaner through them first. My grandfather's old 89 S-10 w/ the 2.8L TBI motor would like to foul the injectors quickly. It was mostly due to the fact that he only drove .3 miles from his house to the farm and only used 2nd & 5th gears in the trans. 2nd was to get it moving ever so slightly and 5th was for everything else. To this day I don't know how he did it.

A bottle of injector cleaner (Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment Plus) every November and I'd drive it for that tank full winding it out in each gear getting up to speed and it would be good for another 12 months of his form of abuse.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the tips man.. im pretty sure i'll end up trading as i do love these trucks.. i'll let yall know what happens!!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Beginning Member
crashhole is on a distinguished road

Off topic here, but homegrown, how much drop do you have on the white blazer and what did you use?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member

not sure on the drop.. i used a cutting wheel and sockets!.. lol i cut the springs and took out all the leafs in the back except the main leaf and helper leaf.. it was riding on the bumpstops if that helps on the drop.. everything was stock as suspension goes other then the cut springs and missing leafs.. lol i know this is the wrong way to drop a truck but it sure was a fun ride with a my ol lady in the passenger seat!!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
wildman996@excite.com is on a distinguished road
Default is it a vortec?

if it's a vortec it has gears, the old throtle bodies have chains....i think, dont quote me for sure i havent tore into one, gears in vortec will outlast the crank and cam on vortec so good luck

Quick Reply: 4.3L Timing Chain Replacement