1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4.3L Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildman996@excite.com
if it's a vortec it has gears, the old throtle bodies have chains....i think, dont quote me for sure i havent tore into one, gears in vortec will outlast the crank and cam on vortec so good luck
Well, you are half right. The balance shaft is driven off of a gear on the cam. The balance shaft came into play with the first of the L35 RPO code engines (CPI) in 1992. The TBI motor did not come with a balance shaft and was in production until '94.

All timing sets used are chain driven.

This is a good read through on the early history of the 262:
Rebuilding the Chevy 262 by Doug Anderson courtesy of EngineBuilderMag.com

Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I think the Vortecs came around in 1992 so you probably have a TBI. I had a 91 Ext cab truck and ha the TBI 4.3 in it. I would have much preferred a Vortec engine if one was available at the time. As far as the fuel injectors it also might depend on how long it's been sitting around. You can actually buy a kit for the TBI unit kinda like a carb kit. Whatever you do, I suggest you buy a manual. Personal preference is factory, second is Chilton and if I need to have something to start a fire with a Haynes. The TBI units really are a piece of cake to take apart and put back together if running some chemical through it doesn't work. I noticed from your original picture that it's in a field. If it's been there a while you might have some "visitors" that have taken up squatter's rights - wasps and other kinds of insects like to make a nest in nice quiet places like fuel vents, air intakes, etc.
The timing chain isn't that hard to change. That engine is just a small block Chevy V-8 with two cylinders whacked off. You do have to drop the pan down to get the timing cover off. Don't get chincy on the chain and gears. Get some good ones and they'll last a long time.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member
HomeGrown is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the input fellas.. the trade will commence this weekend.. i'll have more pics up then..