1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4WD Posi-Lock Link System

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4WD Posi-Lock Link System

This is the design that replaces the vacuum actuator under the battery. Does not hook directly into the differential. Old cable from actuator to differential is still used.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Never mind then, think I'll pass on it. I can do the same thing as that with a $25 locking cable.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:59 AM
cltcprd is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Napa to see if I could find this (since $127 is much better than the $200+ that most people want for it) and it is a discontinued part that they said no Napa stores had. Your mileage may vary though.

I ended up buying the universal locking cable and will try the DIY method (though the cable was $35 instead of $25).

Old 01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

Well all I know is that a NAPA store in Martin,KY ordered one for 127.00 - shipping & tax included.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-s.html

Look to the right on this site. There is a first and second generation of this cable.
The one that connects direct to the Diff is Quality Control # M:082305 or higher.
Do you know if NAPA has the second generation? they only show the first Generation on their website.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was not talking about the over priced item in your link, not that cracking the cover off of the diff is all that difficult anyway. What I was talking about was the DIY I linked to above which was written by mysons95. No need to do anything to the diff. Did you read the links??

Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup , nice idea.. I think I can clean it up the under the hood installation though.

Still not sure if the issue is NOT at the Diff. I'm thinking either something is screwed up at the Shifting Fork OR the Spring clip is broken so the Linkage is moving and setting off the 4WD light BUT the shifting shaft is not moving to move the Fork in the diff.
When I get the chance, the battery try is coming out, I will then check for vacuum there AND pull the cable out of the actuator and try to shift it by pulling on the cable. It will let me feel how strong the return spring is on the Fork so I can determine how to proceed with a homemade shifter

Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member
blazeric is on a distinguished road
Default front axle shift fork shaft broken!

I have a broken shift fork shaft. Just found out today. Vacuum and actuator work fine just not engaging fron axle. Easy to check but is it easy to replace. It is sheared in two. Can I weld it back together? Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

blazeric, please do not double post your question. One thread is enough.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member
Kjared2 is on a distinguished road
Default Posi-lok question

I don't know if this thread is dead but you all seem to know a lot about this,

I understand how the posi-lok works but my question is since this by passes all the vacuum hoses how does it get the signal that it is 4x4 so it lights up the 4x4 thing next to where you shift

I have a 91 4x4 s10 blazer and the 4x4 wasn't working so I took the battery and battery box off to find out that none of the vacuum lines were connected down there where it goes into the actuator,

There is a T off that goes up into a electronic sensor looking thing at the end of a big vacuum hose, I am assuming that this is the device Sensor that tells the blazer to light up the other part of the 4x4 picture that is right near the shift lever on the floor board

I know that the posi-lok would bypass this sensor but I think its kind of cool to have that thing light up in the cab

Thanks

91 S10 Blazer 90,000 Miles
Stock G80 Rear Diff
3 In Body lift
3 Inch Suspension Lift

Quick Reply: 4WD Posi-Lock Link System