1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4x4 problem. Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Beginning Member
aspenrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, my 4WD appears to work now!!! yeah!! I drove up and down the street, pushing the "4HI" button. It seemed to go into 4WD (I checked it by doing a tight slow turn). Then I pushed the "2WD" button, and it seemed to go into 2WD (again by doing a tight slow turn). I did this several/many times. However, on the first try, I heard a "clunk". I thought I ran over something in the center of the street as I veered around a parked car, but I dunno. In 4WD, it sounds a little funny, "whirring", and it feels like it is "binding". Hope I didn't damage the Electronic Motor or the T.C. or the Transmission. So, I'm wonder if it is actually in "4LO", eventhough the light by "4HI" is on? But I had put the ABS Brakes Fuse back in, cuz at the end of my test drive I heard that stupid ABS sound. So I took that fuse out again (stupidiest thing I have ever seen.. ABS Brakes.... Grrrrr!!!). But I usually don't go into 4WD that much during the Winter, just to get out of snow. Then once on the road or highway, I put it back into 2WD.
P.S. I usually stop and go into reverse for a short distance, once I put it into 2WD from 4WD. I heard somewhere that that might be a good idea, to make sure it is out of 4WD on the axle/hubs, etc.
OK, I'll see what happens, if this holds up..
thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Binding while turning when in 4wd is normal. There is not a center differential in these transfer cases so when you are in 4HI or 4LO, the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and required to turn at the same rate. While turning, the wheels are all taking different paths which means different speeds and binding occurs. It is one of the reasons why you should not drive on high traction surfaces in 4HI or 4LO.

Backing up to engage/disengage 4wd is a throw over from the days of auto-locking hubs. It is not necessary with newer vehicles.

The clunk you heard may have just been the front axle engaging...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member
aspenrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah.. I hope that "clunk" was nothing. Yeah, I figured, but I usually try to back it up a little bit after putting into 2WD from 4WD.. it can't hurt. I only hope that the 4WD is working now. I did it in and out several times late last night. I haven't driven today, Sunday. I just need it to work thru this Winter. It is a 1998, I've had it used for like 6+ years, it has 226K miles on it. I just want to make it to the Moon!! (250K miles). I figure that will be around Sept 1, I'll have owned it for 7 years then.

But I still don't know where that damn TCCM Fuse is located. They really should require them to label these things.

But thanks again to everybody who posted and replied in here, I got it to work, only hope it keeps on working. I'm in Boston, and we haven't gotten any snow yet. Although they say it is suppose to snow tonight, just a little.

Patriots play the Packers, tonight, here, at 8:20 pm. We're 11-2. GO PATRIOTS!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
choover82 is on a distinguished road

My switch is doing the exact same. Press it, lights start flashing, then off they go. Got the lights to stay on once, but both were lit and nothing engaged. Will check over some options from these forums later tonight.