1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010 | 05:08 PM
|
Blazer89' is on a distinguished road
Default 89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump

Hey everyone, I am repairing my 89' S-10 Tahoe Blazer 4x4 and the thing isnt starting. It will crank but it will not turn over. I added fuel directly to the TBI just to rule out an ignition problem, when i did it started right up and idled before using all the fuel i added. I traced the fuel pump wiring back to the engine compartment and found a BLUE AND PINK wire that was broken. I was wondering if anyone knew what it hooked up to. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-04-2010 | 11:33 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

BLUE and pink?

where exactly did you find the break? was it in the engine bay? usually it's a purple & a pink 12ga wire that runs back to the sending unit. one is for the pump, one is for the float level.

Old 08-05-2010 | 12:52 AM
|

lol yes Purple and pink,( a little color blind sorry) It was directly in the engine bay. Wow thanks for responding. Do you know where it hooks up to in the engine compartment? ( it was wrapped across the top of the brake booster but i dont see where it could plug into )

Old 08-05-2010 | 08:16 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

check under the truck for the other wires. on my fullsize the pink wire was for the gas gauge

Old 08-05-2010 | 09:50 AM
|

I did that when i traced them from the fuel tank. When i got to the engine compartment the pink one was still attached to the proper spot and receiving power, does the purple one splice into the pink one?

Old 08-05-2010 | 02:56 PM
|
Default Please Help

Someone please help me, I am out here right now and i have been scratching my head for 3 hrs.

Old 08-05-2010 | 06:18 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blazer89'
I did that when i traced them from the fuel tank. When i got to the engine compartment the pink one was still attached to the proper spot and receiving power, does the purple one splice into the pink one?

good God! don't do that!!

is the purple wire cut/torn/ripped? it's for the fuel pump, and should have the other side of it in there too.

check around the fuel pump relay (beside the booster).

Old 08-05-2010 | 10:26 PM
|

Don't worry i didnt, I decided to take some pictures of the wire in hopes of it helping my situations. In them you will see the wire that seems to be cut, in the other picture i show you where the Pink wire is mounting. Does it look right? Also I have looked all the way around the booster and have yet to find the other half of the wire.

SN: Do you think you could post a picture or two of where the wire is suppose to attach. Oh and Old Skool thanks for sticking with helping me.

Attached Thumbnails 89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump-imgp0243.jpg   89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump-imgp0244.jpg   89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump-imgp0246.jpg   89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump-imgp0248.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010 | 02:16 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Blazer89'
Don't worry i didnt, (1)I decided to take some pictures of the wire in hopes of it helping my situations. In them you will see the wire that seems to be cut, in the other picture i show you where the Pink wire is mounting. (2)Does it look right? Also I have looked all the way around the booster and have yet to find the other half of the wire.

SN: (3)Do you think you could post a picture or two of where the wire is suppose to attach. (4)Oh and Old Skool thanks for sticking with helping me.

whoa Nelly!

in order............

1) after seeing the actual colour(s), i'd say it didn't (not to me right off the bat anyways).
2) not in the least (again, to me anyways).
3) i'll try to snag some from my youngest brother's '94 (i currently don't have any 1st gen's in my stable).
4) meh, it's what we do.

seriously though, seeing that colour totally changed my opinion on the issue. those wires actually look like a previous owner installed them, since they're outside of the fuse block (so it seems in that 3rd pic anyways). also, the gauge seems like it is 8 ga? way too big for the fuel pump/float level wiring.

and you're right, it definately was cut. either on purpose (like removing something that was aftermarket?) or by accident (like the truck "wore" through it on a sharp edge)

i'll call my littlest brother first thing in the morning (i know he's going down to DunnTire Raceway Park in Lancaster, NY around noon).

i'll post back anything i remember or come across later.

Old 08-06-2010 | 10:38 AM
|

Ok thanks a lot, I will be waiting on the post.

Quick Reply: 89' Blazer S-10 Fuel Pump