1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

89 gmc no power

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Blazercrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 89 gmc no power

I'm not to much of a transfer case fan, But like all moving parts lack of lubercation will make it rougher to use. I haven't gotten to my Transfer case yet, but it's shifting smooth enough for me to wait till spring..Sorry i can't help on this more[&o]

Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 AM
hddave1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: bandidolenny

Make sure your transfer case is not in 4 high. Check all fluid levels including t-case and diffs for anything out of ordinary. You may have a trannyshop (more than one) test drive the vehicle and give you their opinion. Any check engine light activity? I know its older but maybe scan the computer for any codes. Catalytic converter clogged maybe? Bad gas? Did this just start one day or did it come on slowly?
ok im no 4x4 guy so how do i check to see if its in 4 high and how do i check the tranfer case fluid levels . i know it shows that its in 2 wheel dr. the light says so anyway but that could be wrong. it dont show a check engine light but i will check that..how would i check to see if the cat. converter is clogged.. guys im sorry but this is kinda new to me and i want to learn how to trouble shoot this ... thanks for all the replys

Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If your gonna keep the truck then look into buying (or at least researching) a service manual for that vehicle. To check the tranfer case operation, go off-road somewhere or to a big empty parking lot and simply put it in four wheel drive.When turning in a circle you will feel steer torque through the steering wheel. This should go away when in two wheel drive. While your at it... put the transmission in neutral and then the t-case in low range and drive around for a bit (not on the street). Its good to cycle your t-case through the ranges every once in a while. To check your catalytic converter to be clogged, have a friend rev the engine while you hold your hand over the exhaust. You should feel a strong rush of exhaust. Run it by a shop if in doubt, they should check it for free in about 30 seconds.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 AM

i looked under the truck and i didnt see a cat. converter..i dont know if the truck ever had one or if someone took it out but nothing there except the muffler.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 PM

also someone took the plastic duct off the breather and i was told that was where the maf sensor was...do i need that and if so where could i get the assembly so i can put it back like it was...

Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

There was no maf sensor on 1st gen s-series suv's.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM

well i just learned something...cool...thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 AM

i took the truck to a tranny shop and the guy did drive it in 2wheel and 4wheel drive. he told me there was nothing wrong with the tranny.. he told me it was either a sensor or maybe the tbi needs rebuilding..i did check and replace every vac. hose that i thought looked old. i had autozone check to see if i had any codes stored and they checked and said all was good..the check engine light has never came on since i've owned the truck. what it feels like is i have to really get into the gas to get it to maintain say 55mph..heres the funny thing, some days it does better than others. every now and then i get a kinda gas slash exhaust smell coming from the engine bay and i smell it when im driving .. it doesnt do that all the time .could it be a sensor or maybe the tbi is just in need of a rebuild..i hate spending money on parts that dont fix the problem but im open to anything that i can try to fix the truck..the truck does idle good and i did spray carb cleaner to check for vac. leaks and i found nothing...is there anything else i can do to remedy this problem.. thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem on my old 89 and i could figure it out so i sold it

Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 AM
quik1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

did you check the tbi gasket area and around the intake manifold gaskets?

Quick Reply: 89 gmc no power