1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

89 Spare size in/out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Starting Member
89 Blazer Lebanon is on a distinguished road
Default 89 Spare size in/out?

I have a 2 doors 1989 S10 Blazer 4WD 4.3L TBI 6Cyl, with 235/75 R15 tires. My spare tire is same size, mounted on a carrier on the rear, causing a lot of rattling as I drive around in the country (roads are all bumpy with small "pits" everywhere). Once I was going offroad and tried to see how to mount it inside, and found out that the trunk can't be closed with the spare inside, plus that I don't know how to mount it there. My friend told me that a spare should be smaller!?
Could anyone tell me what size I should use and how to mount it inside? (Pictures would be great) I have that big plastic cover over the part where the center goes (with a hook).
I'll try to post some pics later.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the inside spare is a space saver donut type deal. you can probably find them in the junkyard not to many people downgrade to one.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 89 Blazer Lebanon
I have a 2 doors 1989 S10 Blazer 4WD 4.3L TBI 6Cyl, with 235/75 R15 tires.................Once I was going offroad and tried to see how to mount it inside, and found out that the trunk can't be closed with the spare inside, plus that I don't know how to mount it there. My friend told me that a spare should be smaller!?
Could anyone tell me what size I should use and how to mount it inside? (Pictures would be great) I have that big plastic cover over the part where the center goes (with a hook).
I'll try to post some pics later.

really? i had the same size tires on my first '84, and the spare was inside, mounted like it is in my 'Burb. the one in my '84 sat on a plastic "stand", kinda like what you see the tires on display @ a tire shop. i know the whole set-up was factory, everything was blue like the interior. it even had a carpeted cover like my 'Burb.

try lookin' @ some of the older Blazer/Jimmy's @ an auto wrecker near you, you'll never know what you'll find.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

My 84 Jimmy has a full sizr spate tore (235 75R15) and the factory mount for it is actually on the floor, the tire lays on it's side and attaches to a ring that's bolted to the floor and has a hook and long stud running up the center id the wheel. It too has a nice blue carpeted cover. Looks like there was more than one way they did it. Great to have options. By the way the ring is a triangular piece with a bolt tab and the bolt goes through a weld-nut in the floor. Tire sits off to the left. Takes up almost the whole area but you still can put a scuba tank on the right and won't have to worry about it moving around.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Mine rattles like a bugger too. Im considering putting the tire on the roof and strapping it to the roof rack with black ratchet straps and taking that carrier off the truck.

I dont know how many blazers you will find in a junkyard in Lebanon to take parts from...

You may also want to adjust the back window and tailgate latches... Thats most likely where half the noise is coming from.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by abig84
the inside spare is a space saver donut type deal. you can probably find them in the junkyard not to many people downgrade to one.
I want to put it inside when I go offroading. Don't want the weight to damage the rear as it's a bit rusty where the carrier bolts under the tail light.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
really? i had the same size tires on my first '84, and the spare was inside, mounted like it is in my 'Burb. the one in my '84 sat on a plastic "stand", kinda like what you see the tires on display @ a tire shop. i know the whole set-up was factory, everything was blue like the interior. it even had a carpeted cover like my 'Burb.

try lookin' @ some of the older Blazer/Jimmy's @ an auto wrecker near you, you'll never know what you'll find.
I have that plastic "stand" too on the left side of my trunk with that loop ended screw under the plastic cover for the lift jack, and I had that carpeted cover in the trunk when I bought my S-10 but it doesn't fit over the tire, neither did the factor plastic cover (with "Blazer" print) for the external carrier, so I had to change it to a bigger cover.
All I need is like one more inch or a bit less to close the tailgate.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
My 84 Jimmy has a full sizr spate tore (235 75R15) and the factory mount for it is actually on the floor, the tire lays on it's side and attaches to a ring that's bolted to the floor and has a hook and long stud running up the center id the wheel. It too has a nice blue carpeted cover. Looks like there was more than one way they did it. Great to have options. By the way the ring is a triangular piece with a bolt tab and the bolt goes through a weld-nut in the floor. Tire sits off to the left. Takes up almost the whole area but you still can put a scuba tank on the right and won't have to worry about it moving around.
I have a plastic "stand" for the spare on the left side with that loop ended stud, but I also have a triangular ring bolted to the floor. Is that the ring you're talking about?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Mine rattles like a bugger too. Im considering putting the tire on the roof and strapping it to the roof rack with black ratchet straps and taking that carrier off the truck.

I dont know how many blazers you will find in a junkyard in Lebanon to take parts from...

You may also want to adjust the back window and tailgate latches... Thats most likely where half the noise is coming from.
We have/had a lot of Blazers here in Lebanon and not worried about finding spare parts. The problem is that the pare is not fitting inside.
As for latches adjustment, I did that and even wrapped some duct tape on the side studs where the latches close to make it close tight, but I feel like the full size spare is too heavy

Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

really, i didnt know that GM was popular over seas... I thought there would be more mercedes and volkswagen and audi and renault and stuff... I guess thas what happens when Ive only ever been on north america. I thought a GM would be rare over there.

The spare tire cover seems like its too small... i was about to throw mine away when I couldnt get it back on, but I wet it with water and it slid right on no problems.

Quick Reply: 89 Spare size in/out?