1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'92 S10 Blazer, Start Up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member
Gerik Bensing is on a distinguished road
Default '92 S10 Blazer, Start Up Issue

I picked up a 1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer a few months ago for free from a guy off Craigslist. The vehicle is in surprisingly good condition and the only issue that is of any concern to me is that to start the vehicle up you must spray starter fluid directly into the air intake. After a few tries it will typically start up and run great. The vehicle idles fine immediately, accelerates with no problem, and has absolutely no operational issues while the engine is running.

Now, the previous owner informed me that it had been sitting for about 6 months before I got it and the reason he decided to get rid of it was because he was sick of using the starter fluid method and didn't feel like figuring out the problem. Additionally, the engine is a V6 Vortec engine, from the sounds of it, this is not the standard engine.

I have done no work thus far to fix the issue, because quite honestly, I know approximately nothing about engines. I got this vehicle as a project car to take apart the engine and all that good stuff and learn what I can from it, and hopefully then put the whole thing back together and have it run well for a beater around my property.

So, my question to you all, what do you think could be issues that don't allow proper start up? As I take the engine compartment apart I will be replacing/cleaning many components, so I'd like to have an idea of the items I should pay special attention to.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

Attach a Fuel Pressure Gauge and let us know what your fuel pressure PSI is. You need 58-60psi with the Key ON,(not running) for the truck to start properly.

But It could be your sending unit or fuel pump not getting enough fuel pressure for the truck to start on its own. Fuel filter being old and clogged could restrict fuel pressure.

Could also be the Fuel pressure regulator has gone bad, there known for being a big problem with these engines.

Let us know what you have tried.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member

Looking at the diagram on the page below, is this similar to how my 1992 Blazer's fuel lines work? Would I attach this gauge on the "fuel inlet" port and check the filter at the "in-line fuel filter"? Additionally, where would I locate the fuel pressure regulator.

Lots of questions for a total newbie, but I'm a quick learner... I hope!

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-tr...rt-266116.html

Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yes and Yes. The Regulator is under the thing that says VORTEC on the engine, its inside. Do a forum search for CPI FUEL INJECTION and you will find a plethora of info and photos to help you out and show you what to look for. You should be able to blow through your fuel filter with no resistance when its off and in your hand. Its located drivers side in the frame rail under the rear door area. To check your fuel pressure you will need a gauge or "fuel injection pressure tester", they can be bought borrowed or stolen. They are about fifty bucks. A couple easy checks for you to do:

Does the oil smell like oil or like gas?
Take off the VORTEC cover plate, and remove that black puck looking thing and look in there with a flashlight. Is it black everywhere?, or gold in some spots?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 PM

The attachment point for your gauge is on the back of the plenum on the drivers side, it looks like a tire stem. The two hoses running into the plenum are your fuel lines. Inside the plenum is the Fuel pressure regulator, its attached to the "spyder" for obvious reasons. Each one of the legs is an injector for each cylinder.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member

I bought a Fuel Injection Pressure Tester today for $45 because I couldn't find it anywhere to borrow or rent. I attached the device to the test port, which I found located right behind the cylinders on the driver side of the engine. I certainly hope that was the right port, haha. Anyways, I tested the fuel pressure and below are my results. I first put the key to the ON position, and just to see what happened, I then attempted to start the engine. After each test I bled out the pressure and repeated it.

Key ON: 18 PSI - Key START: 38 PSI
Key ON: 28 PSI - Key START: 38 PSI
Key ON: 30 PSI - Key START: 38 PSI
Key ON: 32 PSI - Key START: 38 PSI

I then checked the Fuel Filter to make sure it was not clogged, and after removing it and easily being able to blow through the filter, it appears the filter is fine.

After that I tried the fuel pressure again with the following results...

Key ON: 8 PSI - Key START: 38 PSI
Key ON: 10 PSI - Key START: 38 PSI

I found it a bit odd that the pressure was now so much lower. I checked to see if the filter was leaking, it was not. During all of my testing, I could not hear my fuel pump. However, since I was getting some pressure, it must be working, right? I very well could have just not heard it running.

I also checked the oil smelling like gas or oil. I actually forgot to take a good whiff, but I do not recall smelling gas. It did, however, have what I assume to be the gold spots. Picture below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...azerengine.jpg

So what is the next step? I seems my fuel pressure is low, which from how it sounds is the reason it won't start on its own.

Last edited by Gerik Bensing; 07-30-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Beginning Member

Also, here is the list of known issues I was given when I picked up this vehicle

List of known issues:
Heater fan switch is broken.
Oil leak at the O rings at the remote filter and oil cooler hoses.
4x4 is temperamental. Need to reset the transfer case computer by
disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and reconnecting. Then it will
function for several days to a month. Without warning it will quit
switching into 4x4 and need to be reset. This is a known common problem
with blazers. Never really bothered me.
Needs a tune up in a bad way. I needed to use starting fluid to start it
cold for the last month I drove it.
I don't know if what he said has any merit now that we know the fuel pressure is low, so please let me know.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member

Today I smelled for gas when I opened up the plenum and definitely smelled it. It appears there was indeed some sort of leak, I could see that a large section of the passenger side of the compartment was indeed "clean". So I replaced the FPR and the gasket that goes around that section and it appears to have made no difference. My vehicle still will not start on its own and the fuel pressure is not getting high enough.

Here is a picture of what it looked like inside:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Gerik/head.jpg

So here is what we know:
Fuel Filter is fine
Brand new Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pump DOES run, I can hear it when I stand at the gas tank when the key is turned to the ON position
Fuel Pressure is low, anywhere between 10-30 PSI at key ON

I have also been informed of what exactly was replaced.
The spider loom, the wiring for the fuel injectors, was replaced. They wanted to do the injectors too but that was going to be many hundreds more. So I just did the wiring and prayed, and all work great afterwards.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM

Was the fuel pump replaced by the previous owner? The reason I ask is because there's 2 different types of fuel pumps, one for the CPI engines(which you have) and one for the TBI engines. The TBI's pump pressure is only about 12psi. They may have put in the wrong pump. If they didnt replace it, then it could just be time for YOU to replace it. Sounds likes its going.

Let us know hows things go.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Beginning Member

Is there any way for me to test it before going and replacing it? I wouldn't really mind taking it out and to do the testing, but I'd hate to replace an $80 part after just spending another $100 in vane to fix this vehicle. Additionally, what exactly would I need to replace? Just the pump, or the pump, filter, strainer, and wiring? I looked into that briefly last night.

Quick Reply: '92 S10 Blazer, Start Up Issue