1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'92 S10 Blazer, Start Up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

I dont know of anyway of testing the pump to see which one you have. Do you know if it was replaced or not? If it wasnt replaced then it could be the orginal and just be old and dying. Maybe one of the Mod's on here knows how to test the pump.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Beginning Member
Gerik Bensing is on a distinguished road

As far as I know it has been the same pump for a long time. I'm going to give it a regular tune up in the next few days because I'm sure it needs that as well regardless. If that doesn't fix the start up issue (which is what I'm guessing), I'll move onto the fuel pump.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 PM

alright well give it the tune up and hopefully that cures it. Keep us informed of what happens. We are here to help each other.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member

Got the tune up stuff together, going to install it tomorrow.

Includes:
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Distributor Cap
Ignition Rotor
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
PCV Valve

The spark plugs are the standard AC Delco plugs, for whatever reason no one around has the platinum series and the store I went to didn't have enough rapid fire. This vehicle will likely never see more than one or two thousand miles while I own it because I will be using it to mess around with on my property primarily, so I hope the standard plugs will be sufficient.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

You've done the testing for the fuel pump. It's not providing adequate pressure (not even close); whether it's the right pump or the TBI pump, it needs to be replaced with the correct pump (you have a W code engine and you'll need that info).

You definitely had a FPR leak - looks like it had leaked for quite a while before you did the work.

Standard plugs are the recommended for a 1st Gen CPI engine. Platinums aren't spec'd until later.

I got my pump from www.rockauto.com and went for the entire hanger assembly, since my truck had 145k on it and I didn't know if it had been done before. AC Delco/Delphi only on this unless you want to do it again... there's also http://store.getgmparts.com/fuel-pumps.html

Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member

Leean, just briefly looking at those links I was confused on what I would be looking for (with the hanger assembly and all that). If it's not too much trouble, could you link me directly to what you would recommend? From how you put it, my Blazer is around 208k miles and I doubt it has ever received a new fuel pump, so I should probably get the whole hanger assembly? It just sounds like something that would only need replacing if it were broken (like a coat hanger, haha), not like something that wears out.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 PM

What I think she means by Hanger assembly, is the whole sending and pump unit as one. With our assembly, you can replace the pump if you wanted or the sending unit, which ever piece failed. But she is suggesting to replace it all, since its so old.

Yeah if you just using it to mess around on the farm, then standard plugs would have been fine anyways.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM

The hanger assembly includes everything that the pump attaches to (it's everything that 'hangs' from the top of the pump). I replaced the whole thing 1) because ethanol fuel seems to eat rubber and I didn't want a small piece of hose screw up my install a week or ten down the road and 2) every post I saw on replacing the pump on these said to replace the whole assembly because the fuel level sender failed not terribly long after they replaced just the pump.

I probably didn't need to, but I seriously didn't want to drop the tank again (did it myself in the gravel driveway). I use it as a daily driver, however, and you're just planning on beating it up on your property.

Your pump is an AC Delco EP381; however, that's just the pump, not the 'hanger assembly', which I can't seem to find at the moment (and isn't listed at www.acdelco.com any more).

The sender is 25028845
Sender insulator (aka pump mounting) is 25004553
Strainer FS0007

getgmparts has the pump itself for something like $7 less than rockauto.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Beginning Member

I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor today and as expected, the vehicle did not start. It did sound like it was trying harder though, so that seems like a good thing.

Next step is this fuel pump. I called around to local stores to see what they have to offer and the basically have the Delphi fuel pump for $109, the whole assembly for $269, and the sending unit for $60. From looking at pictures online, it appears that the sending unit and fuel pump make up the whole assembly. I must be missing something. What is it?

I'm going to take the fuel tank off and take a good look at my assembly and see just how poor of condition it is in and make a decision on what I will need.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM

I'm not real sure what the difference is, to be honest. I simply went with the whole assembly because I was afraid I'd have to drop the tank again to get the sending unit replaced. And it was DAMN hot out when I did it, so I really, really only wanted to do it once.

Since you're going to use it as a beater, you probably don't need to worry about the sending untit. I'd just put the Delphi pump in (and replace the strainer at the same time).

Quick Reply: '92 S10 Blazer, Start Up Issue